[comp.ai.neural-nets] Any good examples of Boltzmann Learning algorithms?

milikich@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Mike Milikich, Allen-Bradley Company) (12/11/90)

Connectionists, PDPers, and whomever else is reading this :

	I am struggling to implement a simple Boltzmann Machine Learning
algorithm. If anyone can guide me to good references which deal with learning
by simulated annealing, or has some sample code which might be helpful, I
would be tremendously appreciative. I have already read Chapter 7 in
"Parallel Distributed Processing" Vol. I (Hinton and Sejnowski), and it only
served to cloud my understanding. Email to the address below is fine - I will
summarize if I get enough response. Thanks in advance!!!

Mike

| milikich%iccgcc.decnet@consrt.rok.com |"...and the men who hold high places  |
| allen-bradley company                 | must be the ones to start..."        |
| 747 alpha drive                       |--------------------------------------|
| highland heights, ohio  44143         | I don't speak for A-B,               |
| (216) 646-3494  FAX : (216) 646-4343  | and I know they don't speak for me.  |

fahn@cs.columbia.edu (Paul N. Fahn) (12/11/90)

In article <2386.2763f7de@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> milikich@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Mike Milikich, Allen-Bradley Company) writes:
>Connectionists, PDPers, and whomever else is reading this :
>
>	I am struggling to implement a simple Boltzmann Machine Learning
>algorithm. If anyone can guide me to good references which deal with learning
>by simulated annealing, or has some sample code which might be helpful, I
>would be tremendously appreciative. I have already read Chapter 7 in
>"Parallel Distributed Processing" Vol. I (Hinton and Sejnowski), and it only
>served to cloud my understanding. Email to the address below is fine - I will
>summarize if I get enough response. Thanks in advance!!!
>
>Mike

You can try looking at "Simulated Annealing and Boltzmann Machines", by
Aarts and Korst, Wiley, 1989. But they basically give a more detailed
presentation of Hinton and Sejnowski's learning algorithm, with more
mathematical background.

I don't know what you mean by `learning by simulated annealing'.

Why don't you post (or email me) specific questions about the H&S
algorithm. Perhaps I can answer them, as I've been thinking about
these things lately. I've never coded it, though, so no promises.

.Paul.
fahn@cs.columbia.edu