Subject: Administrivia
From:    "Neuron-Digest Moderator -- Peter Marvit" <neuron@hplabs.hpl.hp.com>
Date:    Mon, 17 Dec 90 11:37:51 -0800

This week will see two or three Digest mailings.  I (and my computer)
will then go on vacation until the beginning of January.  Unfortunately,
our site will be shutting off power during that time.  Readers will be
unable to ftp the archives.  There may be some loss of mail, although the
gurus tell me that everything will be held on huge disks until I turn my
workstation back on.  If I don't respond to your mail by mid-January,
please resubmit.

As always, if you you suddenly go several weeks or more without a Digest
and without warning, you may be experiencing mail troubles and/or I
received a bounce and unceremoniously removed you from the list.  Contact
me about your status.  Also, PLEASE let me know if you're about to move
or your electronic address is about to go away.

I hope everyone has a pleasant holiday and change to the new year.  May
all your connections be fruitful.

------------------------------

Subject: Copenhagen Optimization Conference: Revised Announcement
From:    WANG@nbivax.nbi.dk
Date:    Wed, 05 Dec 90 12:46:00 +0100

                          INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

                                     ON

                       NOVEL METHODS IN OPTIMIZATION

                             February 7 - 8, 1991

                                arranged by

                                  NORDITA
                  Nordic Institute of Theoretical Physics
                                Copenhagen

                                    and

                                    DIKU
                      Department of Computer Science
                         University of Copenhagen

         supported by funding from Nordic Initiative for Neural
         Computation (NINC)

              In recent years there has been an increasing
         interest in using neural networks, simulated annealing, and
         genetics as modelling frames of reference to construct novel
         search heuristics for solving hard optimization problems.
         Algorithms constructed in this way, together with tabu search,
         constitute promising new approaches to optimization and are
         the subjects of this conference.
              The aim of the conference is to bring together researchers
         in classical optimization and researchers working with the
         novel methods, thus enabling a fruitful exchange of information
         and results.  An important part of the conference will be a
         tutorial presentation of both classical and new methods to
         establish a common base for discussion among the participants.

         Tutorial session.
         -----------------

              The first day of the conference will be devoted to
         introductory lectures given by invited speakers.  The lectures
         will be on:

         * Classical Optimization.

           a) Laurence Wolsey, Center for Operations Research and
              Econometrics, Universite de Louvain, Belgium:
              "Introduction to Classical Optimization: P-problems and
              their solution."

           b) Susan Powell, London School of Economics:
              "Introduction to Classical Optimization: NP-problems and
              their solution."

         * Neural Networks.

           Carsten Peterson, Lund University, Sweden: "The use of neural
           networks and optimization".

         * Simulated Annealing.

           Jan van Leeuwen & Goos Kant, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands:
           "Simulated annealing: a Tutorial".

         * Genetic Algorithms.

           (Speaker to be announced later)

         * Tabu Search.

           Fred Glover, University of Colorado, Boulder:
           "An introduction to TABU-search".

         * Statistical Mechanics.

           Marc Mezard, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris:
           "Formal statistical mechanical methods in
           optimization problems."

         About the speakers:

         Laurence A. Wolsey is Professor of Applied Mathematics at CORE
         and is one of the leading researchers in the field of computational
         mathematical programming.  He received the Beale-Orchard-Hays prize
         for his work in 1988, and is one of the authors of the widely used
         book "Integer and Combinatorial Optimization".

         Susan Powell is Lecturer in Operations Research at London School
         of Economics and is well known for her work on Fortran Codes for
         linear and integer programs. She has a solid background in prac-
         tical problem solving through her contacts with industry and
         British OR companies.

         Jan van Leeuwen is Professor at the Department of Computer
         Science of the University of Utrecht and is widely known for
         his work in the field of construction and analysis of algorithms.
         Together with Goos Kant he has conducted a number of experiments
         to investigate the general applicability of simulated annealing
         as a tool for the construction of efficient algorithms.

         Fred Glover is Professor at Center for Applied Artificial
         Intelligence at the University of Colorado, Boulder. He
         has a strong background in network optimization, and has in
         the recent years been working with search methods for
         combinatorial optimization problems based partly on ideas from
         artificial intelligence.

         Carsten Peterson is Lecturer in Theoretical Physics at Lund
         University.  He is co-inventor of the deterministic Boltzmann
         learning algorithm for symmetric recurrent networks and a
         leader in applications of neural networks to optimization
         problems.

         Marc Mezard is Lecturer in Physics at the Ecole Nomale Superieure,
         Paris.  Together with his colleagues there and their coworkers
         at the University of Rome, he pioneered the application of
         methods from the statistical mechanics of random systems to
         optimizaation problems.

         Contributed Papers.
         -------------------

              The second day of the conference will be devoted to
         selected half-hour contributed presentations.  An abstract
         of each paper submitted for presentation should be mailed
         or e-mailed to:

                     Prof. Jens Clausen
                     DIKU, Dept. of Computer Science
                     Universitetsparken 1,
                     DK-2100 Copenhagen OE
                     Denmark.

                     e-mail: clausen@diku.dk

         before January 1, 1991. Authors of accepted papers will be
         notified before January 15, 1991. (No proceedings will
         be published).

         Poster Sessions.
         ----------------

              On both seminar days there will be poster sessions. An
         abstract of the poster should be mailed or e-mailed to

                     Prof. Jens Clausen
                     DIKU, Dept. of Computer Science
                     Universitetsparken 1,
                     DK-2100 Copenhagen OE
                     Denmark.

                     e-mail: clausen@diku.dk

         before January 1, 1991. Authors of accepted posters will be
         notified before January 15, 1991.

         Registration.
         -------------

              The registration fee is 500 DKK (or equivalent in other
         covertible currency) and covers coffee/tea and lunch both days
         as well as an informal conference dinner on the evening of
         February 7.
              To register please fill in the form below and mail it
         together with the registrations fee to the address given on
         the form.
              No credit cards accepted. Cheques or Eurocheques should
         be payable to OPTIMIZATION CONFERENCE.
              The organizing commitee must receive your registration
         form January 15, 1991 the latest, and the final program will
         be mailed by January 22, 1991.

         Travel support for Nordic participants.
         ---------------------------------------

         A limited amount of money from NINC is reserved for paying the
         travel costs of participants from the Nordic countries,
         especially younger researchers.  If you would like to apply
         for this support, please indicate on the registration form.

         Accommodation.
         --------------

              The organizing commitee has reserved a certain number of
         hotel rooms.  Please indicate on the registration form if you
         would like the conference to book one for you.

                          INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
                                    ON
                       NOVEL METHODS IN OPTIMIZATION

                             February 7 - 8, 1991
                              REGISTRATION FORM

                  Name:_______________________________________________

           Affiliation:_______________________________________________

               Address:_______________________________________________

         Telephone no.:_______________________________________________

                e-mail:_______________________________________________

        If you want the conference to reserve you a hotel room, please
        indicate here for which nights:

        Nordic participants:  If you want to be considered for travel
        support, please indicate your needs here:

         Mail this registration form to:

                John Hertz
                NORDITA
                Blegdamsvej 17
                DK-2100 Copenhagen OE,
                Denmark

        For further information:

                e-mail: hertz@nordita.dk
                FAX: [+45] 31 38 91 57

------------------------------

Subject: Cambridge Neural Networks Course Announcement
From:    Richard Prager <rwp@engineering.cambridge.ac.uk>
Date:    Fri, 07 Dec 90 12:21:57 +0000

            Cambridge University Programme for Industry

                          Neural Networks
                    Theory Design & Applications
                        15 - 19 April 1991

                     Preliminary Announcement

A five-day advanced short course on the theory, design and applications
of artificial neural networks, presented by leading international experts
in the field:

        Professor David RUMELHART       Stanford University
        Professor Geoffrey HINTON       University of Toronto
        Dr Andy BARTO                   University of Massachusetts
        Dr Herve BOURLARD               Philips Research Labs. Belgium
        Professor Elie BIENENSTOCK      ESPCI Paris
        Professor Frank FALLSIDE        University of Cambridge
        Professor Horace BARLOW         University of Cambridge
        Dr Peter RAYNER                 University of Cambridge
        Dr Lionel TARASSENKO            University of Oxford

This intensive short course for scientists, engineers and their managers
aims to develop an understanding of the potential for neural
network-based solutions, and demonstrates techniques for transforming
problems to enable neural networks to solve them more efficiently.
Design methodologies for a number of common neural network architectures
will be described.  By the end of the course delegates will be able to
assess the potential usefulness of neural network technology to their own
application domains.  They will have an understanding of the strength and
weakness of a neural network approach and will have acquired an insight
into factors affecting neural network design and performance.

The lectures will be complemented by discussion sessions and practical
computing sessions that will demonstrate simulated applications.  The
lectures will cover basic theory behind neural network algorithms,
together with applications in speech and language processing, signal
processing, and robotic control.

If you are interested please print out the form below, fill it in and
return to Pam Whitfield, Cambridge Programme for Industry.  University of
Cambridge.  Department of Engineering.  Trumpington Street.  Cambridge.
CB2 1PZ United Kingdom.

    | Please send me full details of the course: NEURAL NETWORKS       |
    | to be held at Pembroke College, Cambridge, England.              |
    | 15 - 18 April 1991.     COURSE FEE 875 pounds sterling.          |
    | Accommodation can be arranged for delegates at Pembroke College. |
    | Name _______________________ Job Title ______________________    |
    | Company ____________________ Division _______________________    |
    | Address _____________________________________________________    |
    |         _____________________________________________________    |
    | Postcode __________ Phone Number __________ Fax _____________    |

------------------------------

Subject: Vehicle Guidance Workshop '91
From:    Christof Koch <koch%CITIAGO.BITNET@vma.CC.CMU.EDU>
Date:    Fri, 07 Dec 90 11:05:14 -0800

One-day workshop on

 NEURAL AND FUZZY SYSTEMS, AND VEHICLE APPLICATIONS '91
 November 8, 1991, Tokyo, Japan
 The Roundtable Discussion on "Neural and Fuzzy Systems, and
 Vehicle Applications" is tentatively scheduled for November 8,
 1991, in Tokyo Japan.

 The focus of this roundtable discussion will be applications of
 neural nets and fuzzy logic to vehicles including automobiles,
 aircraft, and trains.  The relationship between neural nets and
 fuzzy logic technologies will be another focus.

 Presentations of on-going projects as well as completed projects
 are welcome to stimulate the discussions.

 Please submit a one-page abstract by May 1, 1991, to Ichiro Masaki

 Related conferences include:
       IROS (International Workshop on Intelligent Robots and Systems)
           Nov. 3-5, Japan.
       IFES (International Fuzzy Engineering Syposium) Nov. 13-15, Japan.

       Ichiro Masaki
       Computer Science Department
       General Motors Research Laboratories
       30500 Mound Road, Warren, Michigan 48090-9055, USA
       Office phone:  1-313-986-1466
       Fax:  1-313-986-9356
       E-Mail:  MASAKI@GMR.COM

If you're interested, please don't send mail to me but to
Ichiro Masaki at masaki@gmr.com

------------------------------

Subject: tech report: benefits of gain
From:    "KRUSCHKE,JOHN,PSY" <kruschke@ucs.indiana.edu>
Date:    07 Dec 90 15:48:00 -0500

The following paper is available via ftp from the neuroprose archive at
Ohio State (instructions for retrieval follow the abstract).  This paper
was witten more than two years ago, but we believe the ideas are still
interesting even if the details are a bit dated.

                   Benefits of Gain:
     Speeded learning and minimal hidden layers
           in back-propagation networks.

    John K. Kruschke            Javier R. Movellan
    Indiana University          Carnegie-Mellon University

                       ABSTRACT

The gain of a node in a connectionist network is a multiplicative
constant that amplifies or attenuates the net input to the node. The
objective of this article is to explore the benefits of adaptive gains in
back propagation networks. First we show that gradient descent with
respect to gain greatly increases learning speed by amplifying those
directions in weight space that are successfully chosen by gradient
descent on weights.  Adpative gains also allow normalization of weight
vectors without loss of computational capacity, and we suggest a simple
modification of the learning rule that automatically achieves weight
normalization. Finally, we describe a method for creating small hidden
layers by making hidden node gains compete according to similarities
between nodes, with the goal of improved generalization performance.
Simulations show that this competition method is more effective than the
special case of gain decay.

To get a copy of the paper, do the following:

unix>     ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
login:    anonymous
password: neuron
ftp>      cd pub/neuroprose
ftp>      binary
ftp>      get kruschke.gain.ps.Z
ftp>      bye
unix>     uncompress kruschke.gain.ps.Z
unix>     lpr kruschke.gain.ps

------------------------------

Subject: summer school proceedings: contents and ordering info
From:    Dave.Touretzky@DST.BOLTZ.CS.CMU.EDU
Date:    Sat, 08 Dec 90 00:40:20 -0500

CONNECTIONIST MODELS: Proceedings of the 1990 Summer School

Edited by
     David S. Touretzky (Carnegie Mellon University),
     Jeffrey L. Elman (University of California, San Diego),
     Terrence J. Sejnowski (The Salk Institute, UC San Diego), and
     Geoffrey E. Hinton (University of Toronto)

ISBN 1-55860-156-2        $29.95          404 pages

     (For bibliographic purposes, the complete table of contents
     and contact numbers for additional information or for use in
     obtaining copies of this book follow the announcement.)

TABLE OF CONTENTS

PART I  MEAN FIELD, BOLTZMANN, AND HOPFIELD NETWORKS

Deterministic Boltzmann Learning in Networks with
Asymmetric Connectivity                                          3
     C.C. Galland and G.E. Hinton

Contrastive Hebbian Learning in the Continuous Hopfield Model    10
     J.R. Movellan

Mean Field Networks that Learn to Discriminate
Temporally Distorted Strings                                     18
     C.K.I. Williams and G.E. Hinton

Energy Minimization and the Satisfiability
of Propositional Logic                                           23
     G. Pinkas

PART II  REINFORCEMENT LEARNING

On the Computational Economics of Reinforcement Learning         35
     A.G. Barto and P.M. Todd

Reinforcement Comparison                                         45
     P. Dayan

Learning Algorithms for Networks with
Internal and External Feedback                                   52
     J. Schmidhuber

PART III  GENETIC LEARNING
Exploring Adaptive Agency I:  Theory and Methods for
Simulating the Evolution of Learning                             65
     G.F. Miller and P.M. Todd

The Evolution of Learning:  An Experiment in Genetic
Connectionism                                                    81
     D.J. Chalmers

Evolving Controls for Unstable Systems                           91
     A.P. Wieland

PART IV  TEMPORAL PROCESSING

Back-Propagation, Weight Elimination and Time
Series Prediction                                           105
     A.S. Weigend, D.E. Rumelhart, and B.A. Huberman

Predicting the Mackey-Glass Timeseries
with Cascade-Correlation Learning                           117
     R.S. Crowder, III

Learning in Recurrent Finite Difference Networks            124
     F.S. Tsung

Temporal Backpropagation:  An Efficient Algorithm
for Finite Impulse Response Neural Networks                 131
     E.A. Wan

PART V  THEORY AND ANALYSIS

Optimal Dimensionality Reduction Using Hebbian Learning     141
     A. Levin

Basis-Function Trees for Approximation
in High-Dimensional Spaces                                  145
     T.D. Sanger

Effects of Circuit Parameters on Convergence of
Trinary Update Back-Propagation                             152
     R.L. Shimabukuro, P.A. Shoemaker, C.C. Guest, and M.J. Carlin

Equivalence Proofs for Multi-Layer Perceptron Classifiers and the
Bayesian Discriminant Function                              159
     J.B. Hampshire, II and B. Pearlmutter

A Local Approach to Optimal Queries                         173
     D. Cohn

PART VI  MODULARITY
A Modularization Scheme for Feedforward Networks            183
     A. Ossen

A Compositional Connectionist Architecture                  188
     J.R. Chen

PART VII COGNITIVE MODELING AND SYMBOL PROCESSING

>From Role Learning to System Building:
Acquiring Verb Morphology in Children
and Connectionist Nets                                      201
     K. Plunkett, V. Marchman, and S.L. Knudsen

Parallel Mapping Circuitry in a Phonological Model          220
     D.S. Touretzky

A Modular Neural Network Model of Attentional
Requirements in Sequence Learning                           228
     P.G. Schyns

A Computational Model of Attentional Requirements
in Sequence Learning                                        236
     P.J. Jennings and S.W. Keele

Recall of Sequences of Items by a Neural Network            243
     S. Nolfi, D. Parisi, G. Vallar, and C. Burani

Binding, Episodic Short-Term Memory, and Selective
Attention, Or Why are PDP Models Poor
at Symbol Manipulation?                                     253
     R. Goebel

Analogical Retrieval Within a Hybrid
Spreading-Activation Network                                265
     T.E. Lange, E.R. Melz, C.M. Wharton, and K.J. Holyoak

Appropriate Uses of Hybrid Systems                          277
     D.E. Rose

Cognitive Map Construction and Use:  A Parallel Distributed
Processing Approach                                         287
     R.L. Chrisley

PART VIII SPEECH AND VISION

Unsupervised Discovery of Speech Segments Using Recurrent
Networks                                                    303
     A. Doutiraux and D. Zipser

Feature Extraction Using an Unsupervised Neural Network     310
     N. Intrator

Motor Control for Speech Skills:  A Connectionist Approach  319
     R. Laboissiere, J-L. Schwartz, and G. Bailly

Extracting Features From Faces Using Compression Networks:
Face, Identity, Emotion, and Gender Recognition Using Holons328
     G.W. Cottrell

The Development of Topography and Ocular Dominance          338
     G.J. Goodhill

On Modeling Some Aspects of Higher Level Vision             350
     D. Bennett

PART IX BIOLOGY

Modeling Cortical Area 7a Using Stochastic
Real-Valued (SRV) Units                                     363
     V. Gullapalli

Neuronal Signal Strength is Enhanced by Rhythmic Firing     369
     A. Heirich and C. Koch

PART X VLSI IMPLEMENTATION

An Analog VLSI Neural Network Cocktail Party Processor      379
     A. Heirich, S. Watkins, M. Alston, P. Chau

A VLSI Neural Network with On-Chip Learning                 387
     S.P. Day and D.S. Camporese

Index                                                       401

Ordering Information:

     Price is $29.95.

     Shipping is available at cost, plus a nominal handling fee:
     In the U.S. and Canada, please add $3.50 for the first book
     and $2.50 for each additional for surface shipping; for
     surface shipments to all other areas, please add $6.50 for the
     first book and $3.50 for each additional book.  Air shipment
     available outside North America for $45.00 on the first book,
     and $25.00 on each additional book.

     Master Card, Visa and personal checks drawn on US banks
     accepted.

     MORGAN KAUFMANN PUBLISHERS, INC.
     Department  B2
     2929 Campus Drive, Suite 260
     San Mateo, CA 94403
     USA

     Phone: (800) 745-7323 (in North America)
          (415) 578-9928
     Fax: (415) 578-0672
     email: morgan@unix.sri.com

------------------------------

Subject: ICANN conference
From:    pako@neuronstar.it.lut.fi (Pasi Koikkalainen)
Date:    Fri, 14 Dec 90 15:47:35 +0200

January 15 is approaching fast ....
... but there is still time to write a paper for ICANN-91.

 -== ICANN-91 ====-
 -== INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL NEURAL NETWORKS ========-

 -== Helsinki University of Technology ==-
 -== Espoo, Finland, June 24-28,  1991 ==-

Conference Chair:                 Conference Committee:
 Teuvo Kohonen   (Finland)          Bernard Angeniol   (France)
                                    Eduardo Caianiello (Italy)
Program Chair:                      Rolf Eckmiller     (FRG)
 Igor Aleksander (England)          John Hertz         (Denmark)
                                    Luc Steels         (Belgium)

 -== Second Announcement and Call for Papers =========================-

THE CONFERENCE:                         ACTIVITIES:
===============                        ============
This  conference  will be  a major     - Oral and poster sessions
international contact  forum   for     - Invited talks
experts from academia and industry     - Industrial exhibition
worldwide. Around 1000 participants    - Prototype demonstrations
are expected.                          - Video presentations

         -=============== TUTORIALS ==================-

Nine tutorals will be given on Monday 24, 1991, covering the central
techniques, developments, and prospects of Artificial Neural Networks.
The tutorial speakers are leading experts in the filed:

1a J. Hertz      - The Physics of Neural Networks
1b E. Oja        - Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks
2  B. Widrow and T. Kohonen - Introduction to Neural Networks
3a J. Taylor    - Mathematical Problems in Neural Networks Dynamics
3b F. Faggin    - Hardware Implementations of Neural Networks
4a H. Ritter    - Self-Organizing Map and Applications
4b T. Schwartz  - How to Start a Business in Neural Networks
5a P. Werbos    - Generalized Backprobagation: Basic Principles and
                  Central Applications
5b P. Treleaven - Neural Programming Environment

               -==== INVITED SPEAKERS ====-

In the oral sessions there will be invited talks given by some of the
leading experts in various fields of Neural Networks. The invited
speakers include:

B. Angeniol (France), G. Carpenter (USA), R. Eckmiller (Germany),
F. Fogelman (France), K. Goser (Germany), S. Grossberg (USA),
J. Hertz (Denmark), K. Koenderink (Holland), A. Lansner (Sweden),
C. von der Malsburg (Germany), W. von Seelen (Germany),
J. G. Taylor (UK), P. Treleaven (UK)

     -================ PLENARY SESSIONS ====================-

There will be several plenary sessions on topics that are of interest
to all participants. The speakers who are pioneers in neural networks are:

I. Alexander     - Professor at Imperial College (England)
A. Amari         - Professor at Tokyo University (Japan)
E. Caianiello    - Professor at University of Salerno (Italy)
F. Faggin        - President of Synaptics Inc. (USA)
R. Hecht-Nielsen - Chair of the Board of HNC corporation (USA)
T. Kohonen       - Professor at Helsinki University of Technology (Finland)

            =-= NON-COMMERCIAL DEMONSTRATIONS TRACK =-=

As a new feature in neural network conferences participants will have a
possibility to show video presentations and demonstrate prototype
programs and systems on a non-commercial basis in a separate
demonstration track, running in parallel with the oral and poster
sessions. There will be a video room and PC/workstation classes available
with standard equipment.  The time slot reservation for the demonstration
can be made using the registration form on which you also have to
indicate the title of your demo.  Detailed information will automatically
be sent to those who reserve a time slot for demonstration.

Further information can be requested from:

          Mr. Jari Kangas
          Helsinki University of Technology
          Laboratory of Computer and Information Science
          SF-02150 Espoo, Finland
          E-mail (internet): icann91@hutmc.hut.fi
          Fax: +358-0-4513277, Telex: 125161 HTKK SF

            =-= INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS =-=

 Complete papers of at most 6 pages are invited for oral or poster
 presentation in one of the sessions given below:

 1.  Mathematical theories of networks and dynamical systems
 2.  Neural network architectures and algorithms
      (including organizations and comparative studies)
 3.  Artificial associative memories
 4.  Pattern recognition and signal processing (especially vision and speech)
 5.  Self-organization and vector quantization
 6.  Robotics and control
 7.  "Neural" knowledge data bases and non-rule-based decision making
 8.  Software development
      (design tools, parallel algorithms, and software packages)
 9.  Hardware implementations (coprocessors, VLSI, optical, and molecular)
 10. Commercial and industrial applications
 11. Biological and physiological connection
      (synaptic and cell functions, sensory and motor functions, and memory)
 12. Neural models for cognitive science and high-level brain functions
 13. Physics connection (thermodynamical models, spin glasses, and chaos)

Papers may be submitted for oral or poster presentation. All papers must
be written in English. Only complete papers of at most 6 pages will be
considered for oral presentations, and for 4 pages for posters. The
program committee may designate a paper intended for oral presentation to
a poster presentation instead, and may also change the intended session
to balance the conference program.

== DEADLINE IS  January 15,  1991

Deadline for submitting manuscripts is January 15, 1991.  The Conference
Proceedings will be published as a book by Elsevier Science Publishers
B.V.  Therefore, the final versions must be typed or pasted on special
forms provided by the publisher for authors of accepted papers. The
papers will be reproduced directly from the received forms. In order to
help the authors, the conference organizers, and the publisher, we
request that the submitted manuscripts already follow the final layout.
Therefore, please observe carefully the instructions below.

1. The typing area is 16.7 x 25.8 cm (6.5 x 10 in.)
2. Do not use page numbers
3. Use a font (also tables and figures) large enough to withstand
   reduction to 70%. Do not use font smaller than 11 points.
4. The title should be written in capital letters 2 cm from the top
   of the first page, followed by the authors' names and addresses and
   the abstract left-justified, indenting everything by 2 cm.
5. In the text, do not indent headings or captions.
6. Insert all tables, figures, and figure captions in the text at their
   final positions.
7. For references in the text, use numbers in square brackets.

Submit 6 review copies of the manuscript.
FAX OR EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
With each manuscript, please indicate
     - the name of the principal author
     - the mail address, telephone, and fax numbers
     - whether the paper in intended for oral or poster presentation
     - which session it is submitted to (see sessions above). You can
       also give two alternatives.

You will be notified of the review result by February 20, 1991, and the
authors of accepted papers will receive an authors' kit from the
publisher.  Deadline for the final papers typed on the special forms is
March 15, 1991.  NOTICE! The final camera-ready papers must be received
by the Organizing Committee by that date!

=== SEND THE MANUSCRIPTS TO:

Prof. Olli Simula
ICANN-91 Organization Chairman
Helsinki University of Technology
SF-02150 Espoo, Finland
 ---------------------------
Fax: +358 0 451 3277
Telex: 125161 HTKK SF
Email (internet): icann91@hutmc.hut.fi

- -== CONFERENCE VENUE ===-

The street address of the Conference venue is
Helsinki University of Technology
Otakaari 1
SF-02150 Espoo
Finland

 -== SOCIAL PROGRAM, TOURS AND EXCURSIONS =====-

In addition to the scientific program, several social occasions are
included in the registration fee. These include:
24 June: Get-together party and opening of the exhibition
26 June: Concert sponsored by the City of Espoo
27 June: Banquet

Several tours and excursions are optional:
24 June: City Sightseeing (90 FIM)
25 June: Porvoo by bus and boat (400 FIM)
26 June: Finnish Glass Discovery (350 FIM)
27 June: Design Tour (100 FIM)

Pre- and post-conference tours and excursions will also be arranged:
21-23 June: Lapland with Midnight sun (2900 FIM)
22-23 June: Cruise to Tallinn (Estonia, USSR), (850 FIM)
28-30 June: Leningrad by air (USSR), (2950 FIM)

 -== GENERAL INFORMATION, REGISTRATION AND ACCOMMODATION ===-

There will be a special ICANN-91 reception desk at Helsinki-Vantaa
airport. The desk will be open on Sunday June 23 and on Monday June 24
from noon until midnight. Registration desk is located in the Lobby of
the main building at the Helsinki University of Technology, address:
Otakaari 1, 02150 Espoo. For more information about registration and
accommodation, please contact:

ICANN-91
CMS-CONGREX
P.O.Box 151
Neitsytpolku 12 A
SF-00141 Helsinki,
Finland
Tel.: +358 0 175 355
Fax: +358 0 170 122
Telex: 123 585 cms sf

End of Neuron Digest [Volume 6 Issue 72]