[comp.ai.neural-nets] self organising nets in speech recognition

oreillyj@ul.ie (12/12/90)

Could anyone give me any references to work carried out on automatically
segmenting speech signals using neural nets.  Another area that is also
of interest is that of feature extraction using neural nets.  These two
sections will hopefully be part of a speech recognition system which is
currently using neural nets for phoneme recognition.

Yours,

John O'Reilly,
Neural Network Group,
Electronic and Computer Engineering Dept.,
University of Limerick,
Limerick,
Ireland.
Email: oreillyj@ul.ie

guedalia@bimacs.BITNET (David Guedalia) (12/20/90)

In article <10793.27653a00@ul.ie> oreillyj@ul.ie writes:

>Could anyone give me any references to work carried out on automatically
>segmenting speech signals using neural nets.  Another area that is also
>of interest is that of feature extraction using neural nets.  These two
>sections will hopefully be part of a speech recognition system which is
>currently using neural nets for phoneme recognition.

   I think Professor T. Kohenen has done exactly that.  I am not sure
where it is published.  He used a Fast Fourier Transform to preprocess
the voice signal.  Then fed it into a Kohenen Feature Map.  This
system suceded in dividing the Finish language into 19 (I am not
sure?) phonemes.
  Maybe take a look at;

    Kohenen T., Associative Memory and Self Organization.

 David

andrzej@bcars268.uucp (Andrzej Bieszczad) (12/31/90)

In article <2643@bimacs.BITNET> guedalia@bimacs.UUCP (David Guedalia) writes:
>In article <10793.27653a00@ul.ie> oreillyj@ul.ie writes:
>>
>>Could anyone give me any references to work carried out on automatically
>>segmenting speech signals using neural nets.  Another area that is also
>>of interest is that of feature extraction using neural nets.  These two
>>sections will hopefully be part of a speech recognition system which is
>>currently using neural nets for phoneme recognition.
>>

>   I think Professor T. Kohenen has done exactly that.  I am not sure
>where it is published.  He used a Fast Fourier Transform to preprocess
>the voice signal.  Then fed it into a Kohenen Feature Map.  This
>system suceded in dividing the Finish language into 19 (I am not
>sure?) phonemes.
>  Maybe take a look at;
>
>    Kohenen T., Associative Memory and Self Organization.
>
> David

Check "COMPUTER", IEEE, March, 1988.

Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7      | BitNet: andrzej@BNR.CA