[comp.ai.neural-nets] Reference about the conjugated gradient neural networks.

cheng@ral.rpi.edu (Wei-Ying Cheng) (01/04/91)

I would like to know if there is any reference about  the conjugated
gradient neural networks. If anyone knows, please post it in the news
groups or tell me by E-mail. My E-mail address is:

cheng@earth.ral.rpi.edu

Thanks.

tylerh@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tyler R. Holcomb) (01/04/91)

cheng@ral.rpi.edu (Wei-Ying Cheng) writes:

>I would like to know if there is any reference about  the conjugated
>gradient neural networks. If anyone knows, please post it in the news
>groups or tell me by E-mail. My E-mail address is:

>cheng@earth.ral.rpi.edu

>Thanks.

"Improvement of the Backpropagation Algorithm for training
Neural Networks",  Leonard and Kramer,  Computers
and Chemical Engineering, Vol 14, No 3 pp 337-341, 1990

black@beno.CSS.GOV (Mike Black) (01/05/91)

There is at least one reference about a Scaled Conjugate Gradient method at
cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu in pub/neurprose/moller.conjugate-gradient.ps.Z.
There are quite a few good papers there.  Here's a list of what they currently
have:

pollack.newraam.ps.Z  pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu
Preprint about the use of backprop auto-association
recursively to generate patterns for symbolic trees.

pollack.perceptrons.ps pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu
Reprint of a somewhat negative review of Perceptrons, 1988 which
appeared in J. Math Psych.

pollack.nips88.ps pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu
Reprint of NIPS 1988 paper suggesting how connectionism might be able
to exploit chaos to overcome its symbolic limitations

frean.upstart.ps  marcus@cns.edinburgh.ac.uk
The Upstart algorithm : a method for constructing and training
feed-forward neural networks.

jagota.hsn.ps.Z  jagota@cs.buffalo.edu
A Hopfield-style Network For Content-Addressable Memories,
[Exponential Capacity, Graph Theory]

witbrock.gf11sim.ps.Z   mjw@cs.cmu.edu marcoz@cs.cmu.edu
Implementation details and performance modelling for a 1.2 billion
connections per second backprop simulator running on IBMs GF11 SIMD
machine. (requires large memory postscript engine!)

miikkulainen.discern.ps.Z risto@CS.UCLA.EDU
A Neural Network Model of Script Processing and Memory

miikkulainen.lexicon.ps.Z risto@CS.UCLA.EDU
A Distributed Feature Map Model of the Lexicon

jacobs.modular.ps.Z  jacobs@gluttony.cs.umass.edu

yu.output-biased.ps.Z  yu@cs.utexas.edu
Reprint of IJCNN90 paper showing how a faster and better
learning can be achieved through specifying extra inputs.

yu.epsilon.ps.Z  yu@cs.utexas.edu
Reprint of IJCNN90 paper presenting a way to decrease
the errors in BP gradually to achieve a better correctness
ratio.

feldman.tr90-9.ps.Z	jfeldman@icsi.berkeley.edu
Proposal and discussion of an integrated language-vision learning task as a
touchstone problem for Cognitive Science

stolcke.tr90-15.ps.Z	stolcke@icsi.berkeley.edu
Investigation of simple recurrent networks as transducers that translate
sequential NL input into semantic feature vectors

gasser.morpho.ps.Z  gasser@cs.indiana.edu
This paper describes an extended version of a
simple recurrent network which learns a linguistic rule,
overcoming problems with previous connectionist approaches by
incorporating both form and meaning in input and output.

gasser.phonology.ps.Z gasser@cs.indiana.edu
This paper describes the use of simple recurrent networks
to learn phonological regularities in segmental linguistic
input.

stjohn.story.ps.Z   stjohn%cogsci@ucsd.edu
A recurrent network is used to model pronoun resolution and inference in text comprehension.

sontag.capabilities.ps.Z  sontag@hilbert.rutgers.edu
This note deals with recognition capabilities of various feedforward
architectures, analyzing the effect of direct input to output connections and
comparing Heaviside and sigmoidal response units.

ahmad.tr90-11.ps.Z ahmad@icsi.berkeley.edu
"A Network for Extracting the Locations of Point Clusters
Using Selective Attention".

mani.function-space.ps.Z ganesh@cs.wisc.edu
Learning by Gradient Descent in Function Space

dietterich.comparison.ps.Z tgd@turing.cs.orst.edu
A Comparison of ID3 and Backpropagation for English Text-to-Speech
Mapping

hampshire.bayes90.ps.Z  John.Hampshire@SPEECH2.CS.CMU.EDU
Equivalence proofs for MLP classifiers and the Bayesian Discriminant Fuction.

jagota.tr90-25.ps.Z                jagota@cs.buffalo.edu
Hopfield-style network is characterised as a Maximal Cliques Graph
Machine. Boolean Logic, Finite regular languages and other problems
are mapped to it via transformations to graphs.

cliff.manifesto.ps.Z   Davec@cogs.sussex.ac.uk
Arguments for computational neuroethology

bengio.learn.ps.Z yoshua@cs.mcgill.ca/bengio@iro.umontreal.ca
A method is presented for searching for and tuning, with learning
methods, a synaptic learning rule which is biologically plausible, and
yields networks capable to learn to perform difficult tasks.

chalmers.evolution.ps.Z  dave@cogsci.indiana.edu
A Genetic algorithm rediscovers the delta rule.

moller.conjugate-gradient.ps.Z fodslett@daimi.aau.dk
A supervised learning algorithm (Scaled Conjugate Gradient, SCG)
with superlinear convergence rate is introduced. SCG is fully
automated including no user dependent parameters and avoids a time
consuming line search, which other conjugate gradient algorithms use
in order to determine a good step size.

kruschke.gain.ps.Z   kruschke@ucs.indiana.edu
A paper to appear in Systems Man and Cybernetics

pearlmutter.dynets.ps.Z barak.pearlmutter@cs.cmu.edu
Survey of learning algorithms for recurrent neural networks with
hidden units, with some new results and simulations.
: usenet: black@beno.CSS.GOV   :  land line: 407-494-5853  : I want a computer:
: real home: Melbourne, FL     :  home line: 407-242-8619  : that does it all!:

sietsma@latcs1.oz.au (Jocelyn Sietsma Penington) (01/09/91)

In article <7#V^&F@rpi.edu> cheng@ral.rpi.edu (Wei-Ying Cheng) writes:
>I would like to know if there is any reference about  the conjugated
>gradient neural networks. If anyone knows, please post it in the news

The main reference I have used is
A.R. Webb, D. Lowe and M.D. Bedworth,  `A Comparison of nonlinear
Optimization Strategies for Feed-Forward Adaptive Layered Networks'
RSRE Memorandum 4157, Royal Signals and Radar Establishment, U.K., 1988.

I'm afraid that's probably not very useful, because as you can see
it is an internal report and has to be requested from R.S.R.E.

There was a paper or two on it in proceedings of ICNN 1988,
but I don't have the references to hand.

Jocelyn
--
(Jocelyn Penington, a.k.a. Sietsma - feel free to use either)
Email: sietsma@LATCS1.oz.au            Address: Materials Research Laboratory