[comp.ai.neural-nets] PDP simulator

rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (01/27/91)

"Neuron-Request" <neuron-request@hplms2.hpl.hp.com> writes:
>McClelland, J. L. and Rumelhart, D. E. (1988).
>Explorations in Parallel Distributed Processing: Computational Models of
>Cognition and Perception (software manual). The MIT Press.
>Comments: "Written in a tutorial style, and includes 2 diskettes of NN
>simulation programs that can be compiled on MS-DOS or Unix . . .
					     ------
I've seen several people mention this, so I thought it was worth clarifying.
There are *two* editions of this book.  One comes with disks for the IBM PC,
the other comes with disks for the Macintosh.

						Dan Rose
						UCSD
--
Dan Rose		{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!beowulf!rose.uucp
UC San Diego		rose%cs@ucsd.edu

jmc@vision5 (Jim Cummings) (01/28/91)

I've just started using the pdp simulator and installed the
version 1.1 patches.
">minor cosmetic changes.  The most important fixes
 >resolve a set of related problems with constraints
 >on weights in the bp program:  In the old version,
 >chaos could result when weights were linked
 >together if the network contained more than 100 units,
 >or if more than 100 weights were linked together
 >or constrained to be positive or negative.

Even after installing those patches, my net with 127 units
cannot have 5 * 28 of its weights constrained to be positve.
The bp program crashes on get network.  If the weights are
random then the program does not crash.  Is there a higher
version of the pdp software that actually _fixes_ this
problem?

Please email me as I am not a regular reader
Thanks
Jim Cummings
jmc@vision3.anatomy.upenn.edu

Jim Cummings - jmc@vision3.anatomy.upenn.edu

When thinking is outlawed, only outlaws will think.