[net.music] older King Crimsom

bottom@katadn.DEC (08/23/85)

Does anybody know what happened to the muscians that played in the older
versions of King Crimsom. I know that Ian McDonald played for Foreiner
for a while. Where is Peter Sinfield? I have his solo album. McDonanld
and Giles also did a solo album that I have. Fripp of course is still
Crimsoming away. Greg Lake also was in ELP, and John Wetton was in ASIA.
Where is Wetton today? I liked the vocal work he did for Lark's Tongue &
Aspic and the Starless & Bible Black albums, so sorry about ASIA. I heard
they fired him(?)

My favorite Crimsom album remains Islands and Lark's Tongue & aspic is next.
It seemed that they began their decline when Peter Sinfield no longer supplied
"words, sounds and visions". I haven't listened to much of the new stuff
I did hear BEAT and wasn't impressed enough to buy it. It seemed to lack
structure. Maybe that was the point.

Dave Bottom
DEC Augusta Maine
!dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom

morris@Shasta.ARPA (08/26/85)

In article <123@decwrl.UUCP> bottom@katadn.DEC writes:

>Does anybody know what happened to the muscians that played in the older
>versions of King Crimsom.
Bill Bruford is playing in San Francisco next week (with someone from Yes
whose name I don't remember, sorry).

>                                             Fripp of course is still
>Crimsoming away.
I'd heard that Fripp has given up on King Crimson again.  Of the new Crimson
work, Discipline was good, Beat was ok, but the most recent album was fairly
hopeless, so I'm glad they're not trying for a fourth.

>My favorite Crimsom album remains Islands and Lark's Tongue & aspic is next.
I have some of the early Crimson albums -- I agree that Islands and Larks
Tongues in Aspic are good.  Some of the sounds in the latter are similar
to Beat, in particular 'Book of Saturdays' reminds me of 'Heartbeat' (or is it
'Two Hands'?  I haven't listened to any Crimson for a while).
The best way to listen to the more recent Crimson work, though, is *not*
to compare it to the old.

>Dave Bottom
>DEC Augusta Maine
>!dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom

Kathy Morris
(morris@diablo.arpa,
{decvax!decwrl | seismo | ucbvax}!Glacier!diablo!morris)

rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen) (08/26/85)

In article <123@decwrl.UUCP> bottom@katadn.DEC writes:

>Does anybody know what happened to the muscians that played in the older
>versions of King Crimsom. I know that Ian McDonald played for Foreiner
>for a while. Where is Peter Sinfield? I have his solo album. McDonanld

>Dave Bottom
>DEC Augusta Maine
>!dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom

    Pete Sinfield apparently spent the latter part of the seventies writing
lyrics -- he wrote most of the lyrics for an Italian band called PFM
(Premiata Forneria Marconi) up until about 1978 or so (that was the date
of the last PFM album that I have, which wasn't very good).  I really like
his lyrics a lot and hope to hear more of them -- I believe he also wrote
for Pink Floyd for awhile (early seventies).

     Don't know what Wetton's up to.  He released a solo album called
"Caught in the Crossfire" which was a European-Japanese release -- apparently
the American record people thought it wasn't commerical enough for popular
release over here.  I've heard it and thought it was pretty commercial --
almost as bad (matter of opinion, I guess) as ASIA.
--
            "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste
	     (or intelligence) of the American public."

		  --H.L. Mencken

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/27/85)

> From: rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen)

Regarding Pete Sinfield:

> I really like his lyrics a lot and hope to hear more of them -- I
> believe he also wrote for Pink Floyd for awhile (early seventies).

No way!  Pink Floyd wrote all their own stuff, and Pete Sinfield was
certainly never in Pink Floyd.  The vast majority of Pink Floyd's lyrics
(except those by Syd Barret) were written by Roger Waters.

			"Sleeping alone in the drone of the darkness"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/27/85)

> From Dave Bottom

> Where is Wetton today?

Don't know where he is today. (He was in Asia (ick!), but you already
know that...)  In 78 or so, he was in a very good group called U.K. with
Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford, and Eddie Jobson.

> I haven't listened to much of the new stuff [of King Crimson] I did
> hear BEAT and wasn't impressed enough to buy it. It seemed to lack
> structure. Maybe that was the point.

"Beat" is the only King Crimson album I've heard that I don't like
(though there is a bit of very good stuff on it).  "Discipline" and
"Three of a Perfect Pair" are excellent!

			"The more I look at it, the more I like it
			 I do think it's good"

floyd@brl-tgr.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (08/28/85)

In article <7813@Shasta.ARPA> morris@Shasta.UUCP (Kathy Morris) writes:
>In article <123@decwrl.UUCP> bottom@katadn.DEC writes:
>>
>>Does anybody know what happened to the muscians that played in the older
>>versions of King Crimsom.

A couple of you REDHEADS (King Crimson Freaks... ugh!) really enjoyed
Islands.  Excellent choice, but I failed to see where anyone noted that
the bassist Boz later wound up in Bad Company, with a last name too.

Some noted the early album, McDonald & Giles.  There was a less well
known precursor album.  I believe the name was Giles, Giles & Fripp.
It had the two Giles in the title, memory doesn't serve me as well
with Fripp.  It stands to reason though, the Giles were bass and drums
on parts of In The Wake of Poseidon.

I don't think that anyone mentioned that both Bruford and Wetton went
on to UK.  They had a fiddle player too for a while.  Was he David
Cross?

Peter Sinfield wrote some lyrics for at least one ELP tune.  He may
have also had an album out a la Robert Hunter (the Grateful Dead
lyricist).

This is/was one of the more interesting postings in the last few days.
Keep up the good work.  Remember, if you ask six different people what
their favorit King Crimson album was you get six different albums.  Good
band.

floyd@brl.arpa

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (08/30/85)

well there are already a lot of responses containing valuable information in
response to this inquiry.....john wetton from what i understand quit Asia
due to 'creative differences'....the anonymous fiddle/keyboard player from
u.k. was Eddie Jobson.....I heard that Fripp has in fact disbanded the King
again butthere is supposed to be a live album of the last band coming out
(I sometimes find the older Crimson material more satisfying than the newer,
but I saw the 'Discipline' band in Boston right after 'Three of a....' was
released and they were formidable indeed!!!!!)
For my money, the best two Crimson albums have to be 'Red' and 'Larkds Tongues'
with 'Starless and Bible Black' and 'Live in the USA' coming in right behind.
A friend of mine has some boots of the Red and Lark's Tongues bands that are
unbelievable!!!!!!! Oh if that material had been released.......