[comp.ai.neural-nets] Weather Prediction

eneumann@bbn.com (Eric Neumann) (02/12/91)

Hello,

Does anyone know of any successful uses of Neural Nets for predicting
weather/climate, and if so, who developed the system and what type of net
did they used ?
I've heard Bernie Widrow at a meeting say that he had developed such an
application,  but I've not come across any publications of his describing
it.  Does anyone know if it is described in a paper ?

Thanks,

Eric Neumann
eneumann@bbn.com

fozzard@alumni.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) (02/15/91)

In article <62665@bbn.BBN.COM> eneumann@bbn.com (Eric Neumann) writes:
>Does anyone know of any successful uses of Neural Nets for predicting
>weather/climate, and if so, who developed the system and what type of net
>did they used ?

Here at NOAA in the Climate Research Division:

Vernon Derr has implemented a simple backprop net to predict the El Nino
current. He will be publishing in a few months and would be happy to answer
any questions you might have (303-497-5975 or v.derr@omnet.nasa.gov)

I also have a paper about forecasting 12 hour 500 mb height data:

Richard S. Leblang "A Neural Network Forecast Demonstration" Central Region
Technical Attachment 90-39, National Weather Service Forecast Office,
Bismarck, North Dakota

If you count forecasting solar flares (solar "weather"):

I wrote a system for the Space Environment Lab here called TheoNet. It uses
a simple 3-layer backprop net and past solar data to predict flares and their
intensity. It was presented and published at NIPS '88: Richard Fozzard,
"A Connectionist Expert System That Actually Works", with Gary Bradshaw and Lou
Ceci, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, D. Touretzky, Ed.,
Morgan Kaufmann 1988

From Bill Moninger's (moninger@fsl.noaa.gov) summary of AI forecasting systems:

WXPERT.  Precipitation forecasting in Albuquerque, NM.  Tested
1984-1990. Expert system and neural network.  Morris Webb,
NOAA/NWS/WSFO, P.O. Box 9025, Municipal Airport, Albuquerque, NM
87119. (2/6/91)

Anon.  Neural network for forecasting geostrophic height tendency
from upper air data.  Network successfully trained to recognize
test cases.  60%-75% skill in forecasting a limited number of
test cases.  Work on hold pending access to more data.  New
NCAR/UW CD of 40 years of upper data will facilitate future work.
Three-layer, back-propagation neural network written in
quickbasic on a 386 pc.  Richard Leblang, WSFO, PO Box 1016
Bismarck, ND 58504.  FTS: 783-4224 (2/91)

Anon.  Neural network for forecasting mesoscale weather fields
using mesonet data.  Trained in 1988, some testing done.
Xiaoguang Tan, Frank Merrem, Forecast Systems Laboratory.
R/E/FS1.  303-497-6859  (1990)

Anon.  Neural network to predict the occurrence of warm and cold
Pacific sea surface temperature events (ENSO).  Undergoing tests.
Brainmaker neural net building tool on a pc.  V. Derr and R.
Slutz, NOAA/CSO. 303-497-5975.  (2/91)

Anon.  Neural network to make monthly predictions of sea ice
concentration from passive microwave data and a physical model.
Under development.  For use in climatological studies.
Brainmaker neural net building tool on a pc.  Jeff Keys, CIRES
(NOAA & University of Colorado), Division of Cryospheric and
Polar Processes.  303-492-3450  (2/91)

THEONET.  Neural network for solar flare forecasting.  Tested
1988.  Does as well as THEO (above) for forecasting, but does not
provide interactive forecaster help.  Lisp and P3 simulation tool
on a Symbolics computer.  Rich Fozzard, NOAA Forecast Systems
Lab, R/E/FS2.  303-497-6011  (2/91)

Anon.  Neural network to identify melt signatures in ice.
Tested, successful demonstration prototype.  Brainmaker neural
net building tool on a pc.  Jeff Keys, CIRES (NOAA & University
of Colorado), Division of Cryospheric and Polar Processes.  303-
492-3450  (2/91)

Anon.  Neural network for cloud classification from AVHRR
satellite imagery.  Tested, successful demonstration prototype.
Jeff Keys, CIRES (NOAA & University of Colorado), Division of
Cryospheric and Polar Processes.  303-492-3450  (2/91)

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
Univ of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA	R/E/FS  325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168