[comp.ai.neural-nets] Analog VLSI design tools for neural nets

kpl@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (k. p. Lam) (02/15/91)

I am looking for information
on available (both public domain or commercial) CAD tools for designing
analog VLSI circuits for neural nets. Carver Mead's book seems to indicate
that some powerful design packages are now available in the field -- but
I wonder whether someone in the newsgroup have more details on their
sources and availability.

Thank you for any help.

-- Kai Lam (Email: kpl@ee.ubc.ca)
  Department of Electrical Engineering, University of British Columbia
  Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

.

harry@neuron6.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Harry Langenbacher) (02/16/91)

In article <1522@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> kpl@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (k. p. Lam) writes:
>I am looking for information
>on available (both public domain or commercial) CAD tools for designing
>analog VLSI circuits for neural nets. Carver Mead's book seems to indicate
>that some powerful design packages are now available in the field -- but
>I wonder whether someone in the newsgroup have more details on their
>sources and availability.

We have designed many analog VLSI chips with MAGIC, both versions 4 and 6.
It is Public domain. We simulate our circuits with Pspice - a comercial
version of the public domain SPICE from U.C. Berkeley. We also use some
rather expensive layout checking software. Our chips are made by MOSIS.

Carver Mead's students have written an a complete set of cad tools and
assembled it into a succesful cad system at Cal Tech. I don't think it's
available to the public yet. It includes tools for schematic capture,
circuit simulation, I.C. layout, and design verification. Just come on
down and enroll.

With Magic and Spice, and some carefull checking - you're in business.

--
Harry Langenbacher 818-354-9513 harry%neuron6@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov
Neuroprocessing & Analog Computing Devices

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) (02/20/91)

In article <1522@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> kpl@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (k. p. Lam) writes:
>I am looking for information
>on available (both public domain or commercial) CAD tools for designing
>analog VLSI circuits for neural nets. Carver Mead's book seems to indicate
>that some powerful design packages are now available in the field -- but
>I wonder whether someone in the newsgroup have more details on their
>sources and availability.

I am unaware of any CAD tools especially designed to create standard
neural computational systems in analog VLSI.  Most of the "neuromorphic"
chips being made currently are custom designed.

If you mean more precisely "what CAD tools are available to create
any kind of analog VLSI," LEDIT is available for PC's, and the
much more extensive MAGIC system is available for workstations.

If you are interested in "neuromorphic" chips, I recommend reading up
on current-mode circuits (the best way to get signals across a large
area of a chip operating in subthreshold mode), and also check out the
article by Bohanen in a recent _Neural_Computation_.

-Tom