[comp.ai.neural-nets] Need mainframe software to implement NN

VCHAND@MIAMIU.BITNET (02/09/91)

What software is available for implementing neural nets on mainframe computers?
I've been using Neural Works from NeuralWare Inc on a PC, but my application is
outgrowing my computer.

Thanks.

Vincent Hand
Miami University (Ohio)
Institute of Environmental Sciences
(vchand@miamiu.bitnet)

esrmm@warwick.ac.uk (Denis Anthony) (02/10/91)

In article <91039.121406VCHAND@MIAMIU.BITNET> VCHAND@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>What software is available for implementing neural nets on mainframe computers?
>I've been using Neural Works from NeuralWare Inc on a PC, but my application is
>outgrowing my computer.

Rochester  System available by ftp from cs.rochester.edu, the PDP stuff
in floppies from
3rd vol of McLelland and Rumelhart (Explorations in PDP) or Genesis
(Univ of Cal, I think).

Denis

vaidyana@lips2.ecn.purdue.edu (Ramaswamy Vaidyanathan) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb10.215639.4013@javelin.es.com>, mgaspar@imp.sim.es.com (Martin Gaspar) writes:
> Try the package from Softlabs.  It is a full UNIX and X Window
> (also works with line oriented I/O) implementation that is similar
> to Neural Works, plus allows step characterization of decision
> regions, and can use distributed hardware and software resources under
> UNIX.  I have had an opportunity to use the beta version for the past
> month on a Sun (SunOS 4.1.1/12Meg), and it looks great.  The package
> is designed for high-power industrial/financial/business applications,
> so it may be more what you are looking for. Not entirely sure when

Can you please clarify what is meant by step characterization of the decision
regions?

Also what is the cost of the beta/Sun 4 version, with an academic discount?

Thanks,
Vaidya

sfp@mars.ornl.gov (Phil Spelt) (02/21/91)

NETS is a backprop simulator which NASA developed -- it permits the user to
specify teh number of layers, number of nodes, etc.  Thie nice thing about it
is taht you get the source code ('C'), which perimits you to use it on any
machine with a 'C' compiler.  Also, it is very generic 'C', so it *REALLY*
does run on "any" machine.  Since you get the source code, it is possible to
scale it up to a larger size than NETS itself allows, using their code as a
model.  It is available from:

                  COSMIC
                  382 E. Broad Street
                  Athens, GA 30602      (404) 542-3265

There is a charge, but I don't know what it is.  They also have 'phone tech support.

Dr. P. F. Spelt
cognitive systems & Human Factors Gp.
ms 6364
ORNL, POB 2008
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6364   (615) 574-7472

Above contact for questions, etc.