[comp.ai.neural-nets] NNs for machine vibration analysis: Request for info.

mjb@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Mat Boek) (02/28/91)

I have been working in applying back-prop networks to the problem of fault
diagnosis of machinery through analysis of their vibration signals, for my
Masters degree thesis.  The method I use involves collecting vibration signals
from tranducers attached to critical points on the operating machine, filtering
and digitally processing the signal (FFT) to produce spectra, which represent
the machine's state at a given time.  Certain features are extracted from the
spectra, and these features are used as inputs to the network.

As yet, I haven't found any evidence of other work on applying  neural-net
(or expert-systems) to this type of problem, apart from using nets to classify
sonar signals (Gorman and Sejnowski, 1987).  Does anyone know of work that
is being done in this, or a similar area?  Any help, comments etc., will be
very much appreciated, and queries cheerfully answered, if possible!

Please reply directly via e-mail, if response warrants I'll post a summary..

Thanks in advance,

Mat Boek.
--
Mat Boek, Computer Science        ACSnet: mjb@goanna.cs.rmit.oz
R.M.I.T.                          ARPA:   mjb%goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au@uunet.uu.net

Norbert.Zacharias@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Norbert Zacharias) (03/01/91)

mjb@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Mat Boek) writes:

>I have been working in applying back-prop networks to the problem of fault
>diagnosis of machinery through analysis of their vibration signals, for my
>Masters degree thesis.  The method I use involves collecting vibration signals
>from tranducers attached to critical points on the operating machine, filtering
>and digitally processing the signal (FFT) to produce spectra, which represent
>the machine's state at a given time.  Certain features are extracted from the
>spectra, and these features are used as inputs to the network.

>As yet, I haven't found any evidence of other work on applying  neural-net
>(or expert-systems) to this type of problem, apart from using nets to classify
>sonar signals (Gorman and Sejnowski, 1987).  Does anyone know of work that
>is being done in this, or a similar area?  Any help, comments etc., will be
>very much appreciated, and queries cheerfully answered, if possible!

I'm interested too
Norbert
Norbert Zacharias          Norbert.Zacharias@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
FB Physik                                               148964@DOLUNI1.bitnet
Carl-von-Ossietzky-Universitaet
Tel. 0049-441-7983527
 Was Du nicht willst das man Dir tu, das will auch nicht was willst denn Du?
							   Heinz Erhard