[net.micro] Computers in the Kitchen?

emery@gypsy.UUCP (07/12/85)

My wife gets a lot of these "Beautiful Homes" magazines.  Whenever they
show a 'modern' kitchen, they show a computer in the corner.  They talk
about putting recipes on the PC.

2 Questions:

1.  Does anyone out there in net-land have a PC in the Kitchen?   If so
have you had any problems with dirt, etc?

2.  What do you really do with a computer in the kitchen?

(The reason I ask is because I'd never put my PC in the kitchen.  I think
that's crazy.)

				Dave Emery
				Siemens Research
		  ...!princeton!siemens!emery

gws@cbnap.UUCP (Gary W. Sanders (N8EMR)) (07/15/85)

In article <22700007@gypsy.UUCP> emery@gypsy.UUCP writes:

>My wife gets a lot of these "Beautiful Homes" magazines.  Whenever they
>show a 'modern' kitchen, they show a computer in the corner.  They talk
>about putting recipes on the PC.
>
>2 Questions:
>
>1.  Does anyone out there in net-land have a PC in the Kitchen?   If so
>have you had any problems with dirt, etc?
>
>2.  What do you really do with a computer in the kitchen?
>
>(The reason I ask is because I'd never put my PC in the kitchen.  I think
>that's crazy.)
>
>				Dave Emery
>				Siemens Research
>		  ...!princeton!siemens!emery

You should never put computer in the kitchen, what you should have is
a terminal and then link it via you household LAN (dont have one, SHAME).
By the way don't forget the bathroom. Lot of valuable time is spent setting,
who knows! in a year of sitting you could have found tons of bug fixxxxxxxes

				In Humor...
				Gary W. Sanders (N8EMR)
				ihnp4!cbnap!gws
				AT&T Bell Labs (Columbus,Ohio)
--
test of sig file

rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) (07/17/85)

+---------------
| show a 'modern' kitchen, they show a computer in the corner.  They talk
| about putting recipes on the PC.
| 2 Questions:
| 1.  Does anyone out there in net-land have a PC in the Kitchen?   If so
| have you had any problems with dirt, etc?
+---------------

Well, it's not really a "computer", it's a terminal to the machine in my
"office", and it's not really the kitchen but the "den", but the kitchen,
dining room, and den are one big space... does that count?

+---------------
| 2.  What do you really do with a computer in the kitchen?
| (The reason I ask is because I'd never put my PC in the kitchen.  I think
| that's crazy.) | 	Dave Emery
+---------------

That should be obvious! The T.V.'s in the den, and I watch it while fixing
dinner, and then after dinner while watching T.V. I read netnews during the
commercials! (...and during the slow filler scenes.) ;-}  ;-}

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (07/18/85)

in Ahwatukee, Arizona, is a so-called "house of the future".   there
are several 8-bit Motorola micros in use controlling lights, HVAC,
opening and shutting skylights/louvres, monitoring intrusion alarms, etc.
there IS a computer in the kitchen.  i wonder if it's ever been used.
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ