[comp.ai.neural-nets] Patches for RCS X11R4 - diff

smagt@fwi.uva.nl (Patrick van der Smagt) (03/12/91)

I gathered there might be interest for this, and Look Here! somebody
just requested it: the patches to upgrade the X11 graphics interface
of the rochester connectionist simulator from R3 to R4.  Part of it
I obtained from stolcke%icsib12.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu
(Andreas Stolcke), the rest I added myself.  Sorry, it's a diff file
so you have to patch by hand.  I also made an ed script; for those
of you who dare to use that, it's in the next message.

						Patrick van der Smagt

>In case you don't want to wait for the `offical' patch, here's one that
>got the X interface to work under X11R4, tested on Sun4/SunOS4.0.3 and
>Sun3/SunOS3.5.
>
>It assumes you have applied the first two MIT fixes to the
>X11R4 distribution (although this might not really be necessary) and you
>compiled and installed the Xaw library with the backwards compatibility
>option.
>
>The following stuff in XGI needed fixing:
>
>  o     Compile everything with -DXAW_BC.
>  o     Add -lXext for linkage of the final simulator.
>  o     Most popup shells have to be topLevelShells to allow window manager
>        interaction.
>  o     Add a width arg to the "display_box" widget to stop it from
>        complaining about `width/height zero'.
>  o     Remove an incompatible access to the guts of a Panel widget in
>        display_panel.c.
>
>Eventually one wants to get rid of the XAW_BC stuff and make use of the
>new R4 features (such as the menus in Xaw), but for the time being these
>couple of changes should do the job.
>
>Apply the patch with `patch -p0' at the root of the simulator distribution
>and then remake makesim and src/xgi. You also might have to patch the
>top-level makefile to point to the X11R4 installation.
>
>Andreas

diff src/xgi/Makefile src/xgi.R3/Makefile
19c19
< FLAGS = $(CFLAGS) -I$(IDIR) -I$(XINCROOT) -DXAW_BC -Dindex=list_index
---
> FLAGS = $(CFLAGS) -I$(IDIR) -I$(XINCROOT)
diff src/xgi/control_panel.c src/xgi.R3/control_panel.c
434c434
<   gi_layout_panel = XtCreatePopupShell("LAYOUT",topLevelShellWidgetClass,
---
>   gi_layout_panel = XtCreatePopupShell("LAYOUT",transientShellWidgetClass,
743c743
<   namepopup = XtCreatePopupShell("RCS HELP",topLevelShellWidgetClass,
---
>   namepopup = XtCreatePopupShell("RCS HELP",transientShellWidgetClass,
diff src/xgi/display_panel.c src/xgi.R3/display_panel.c
47,48c47
< #include <X11/Paned.h>
< #include <X11/Text.h>
---
> #include <X11/VPanedP.h>
875,876c874
<       {XtNheight, (XtArgVal) 100 },
<       {XtNwidth, (XtArgVal) 100 },
---
>       {XtNheight, (XtArgVal) 0 },
934c932
<   ipanel->popup = XtCreatePopupShell("display_shell",topLevelShellWidgetClass,
---
>   ipanel->popup = XtCreatePopupShell("display_shell",transientShellWidgetClass,
955a954
>   a[0].value = (XtArgVal) 100;
978c977
<   /* the next two statements depend on the internals of VPaned.c
---
>   /* the next two statements depend on the internals of VPaned.c */
981d979
<   */
983c981
<   /* change the cursor on the graphics panel to a crosshair */
---
>     /* change the cursor on the graphics panel to a crosshair */
Common subdirectories: src/xgi/icon and src/xgi.R3/icon
diff src/xgi/info_panel.c src/xgi.R3/info_panel.c
191c191
<   ipanel->popup = XtCreatePopupShell("info_shell",topLevelShellWidgetClass,
---
>   ipanel->popup = XtCreatePopupShell("info_shell",transientShellWidgetClass,
314a315
>   ForceBuildLineTable(ip->text);   /* grepped from X11/lib/Xaw/Text.c */
diff bin/makesim-dist makesim-dist.R3
233,236c233
< if test "$graphics" -a "$xwindows"
< then
<        cflag="$cflag -I$xincroot -DXAW_BC"
< fi
---

511c508
< 		gflag=" -lm -L$xusrlibdir -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11"
---
> 		gflag=" -lm -L$xusrlibdir -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lX11"

bukys@cs.rochester.edu (Liudvikas Bukys) (03/14/91)

Regarding getting the Rochester Connectionist Simulator to
compile with X11R4:

The patches that Patrick van der Smagt <smagt@fwi.uva.nl>
just posted (which he obtained from Andreas Stolcke at
ICSI) should work OK, but they do require your X11R4 Xaw
library to be compiled with "backward compatibility" turned
on.

You can obtain the official patch for the simulator by
anonymous FTP to cayuga.cs.rochester.edu (192.5.53.209), in
the file "pub/simulator/rcs_v4.2.patch.1".  It works
without requiring the Xaw library to be compiled -DXAW_BC.
It should work under either X11R3 or X11R4.

The patch is very large, so it is best applied with the
infamous Larry Wall "patch" program, a copy of which can be
FTPed from prep.ai.mit.edu (18.71.0.38), in the file
"pub/gnu/patch-2.0.12u3.tar.Z" (don't forget the binary
mode).

This is the only patch in about the last year.  I have a
few very minor bugs queued up, but nothing major.

Users of the Rochester Connectionist Simulator who want to
receive notice of new releases, bug fixes, etc, should drop
me a note at <simulator-users-request@cs.rochester.edu>,
and I will add them to the mailing list.

The program is not under active development, except perhaps
by the people using it.  Of those, it seems like I can only
get Nigel Goddard to send me bug reports and improvements.
I'd love to have people send me any libraries they've
whipped up, but noone has.  So all you get with it out of
the box is a general-purpose simulator and graphic
interface (X11 or SunView), and a pretty ugly and
inefficient backprop implementation.

Liudvikas Bukys
<bukys@cs.rochester.edu>