[comp.ai.neural-nets] Walking References Wanted

sammut@qut.edu.au (David Sammut) (03/17/91)

Hello Netters,

I am currently looking into implementing a simulation of a two-legged stickman
to see if I could make it "learn" to walk either through a neural network
of fuzzy logic (or possible a little of both).  I have had trouble locating
articles on other work such as this - either for two-legged or other
walking or hopping machines or any else closely related.  If anyone has any
references on other work in this area I would be very grateful to hear from
you.

Thanks in advance

David Sammut

| David Sammut                         |    email: sammut@qut.edu.au    |
| Faculty of Information Technology    |                                |
| Queensland University of Technology  |                                |
| Brisbane, Queensland, Australia      |                                |

peretz@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Samuel R. Peretz) (03/18/91)

>sammut@qut.edu.au (David Sammut) writes:
>
>I am currently looking into implementing a simulation of a two-legged stickman
>to see if I could make it "learn" to walk either through a neural network
>of fuzzy logic (or possible a little of both).

I believe that Rod Brooks at MIT (AI Lab) does this sort of stuff.  He
uses connectionist models for "insect" robots, and tries to teach
these 6 legged creatures to walk.
					--Sam Peretz

	<=======================================================>
	< Samuel R. Peretz			      		>

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) (03/18/91)

In article <39252@netnews.upenn.edu> peretz@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Samuel R. Peretz) writes:
>>sammut@qut.edu.au (David Sammut) writes:
>>
>>I am currently looking into implementing a simulation of a two-legged stickman
>>to see if I could make it "learn" to walk either through a neural network
>>of fuzzy logic (or possible a little of both).
>
>I believe that Rod Brooks at MIT (AI Lab) does this sort of stuff.  He
>uses connectionist models for "insect" robots, and tries to teach
>these 6 legged creatures to walk.

Marc Raibert at MIT would probably be a better contact for this particular
problem.  He's been working on dynamic balance machines for quite a few
years now and has had some real success.  Brooks' designs always use a
static balance assumption (ie: always at least three legs on the floor).
Also, as Brooks deliberately does not do computer simulations of his
creatures, there is no database to evolve a stickman from.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1