[comp.ai.neural-nets] Genetic Algorithm Question

simonofb@rckvm1.vnet.ibm.com (03/18/91)

I have seen discussions here concerning genetic algorithms.  I was wondering

 1) Is there a newsgroup dedicated to Genetic Algorithms (other than the
    digest).

 2) Could someone give me the address for obtaining GENESIS?

Thanks.

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (03/19/91)

In article <9103191334.AA28101@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> simonofb@rckvm1.vnet.ibm.com writes:
> 1) Is there a newsgroup dedicated to Genetic Algorithms (other than the
>    digest).

None that I'm aware of, although
comp.theory.{cell-automata,self-org-sys} come pretty close (the
cell-automata reference is stretching it a bit though).

> 2) Could someone give me the address for obtaining GENESIS?

Anonymous FTP to:

iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (129.79.254.192) /pub/alife/software/unix/GAucsd
sdscvax.ucsd.edu (132.239.51.2) /pub/GA
plains.nodak.edu (134.129.111.64) /pub/Genetic/GAucsd

Two caveats:

1) GENESIS is *old* -- it hasn't been updated since 1989 (if at all).
2) There is another GENESIS -- an NN simulator from CalTech.  The
   unfortunate namespace conflict will probably not be resolved.

Good luck!

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu
Domain: sesame-street (telly,bigbird,snuffy,oscar,kermit,bert,grover,barkley)
Favorite expression: "There's no business like monkey business."

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (03/19/91)

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) writes:

>> 2) Could someone give me the address for obtaining GENESIS?

>Anonymous FTP to:

>iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (129.79.254.192) /pub/alife/software/unix/GAucsd
>sdscvax.ucsd.edu (132.239.51.2) /pub/GA
>plains.nodak.edu (134.129.111.64) /pub/Genetic/GAucsd

A word of warning: of these three sites, only the first one is an official
distribution point for UCSD-GENESIS.  The version on sdcsvax is outdated,
and I will arrange for it to be either updated or removed soon.  I have
no idea who put it on plains.nodak.edu, and whether they keep up with new
releases there.  I'll look into it, but meanwhile stick to Indiana U., or
use my e-mail server: sending me an empty message with "send 1.2ucsd source"
in the SUBJECT line will do the trick.

>1) GENESIS is *old* -- it hasn't been updated since 1989 (if at all).

Granted, GENESIS is old -- it dates back to the early '80s.  However, the
UCSD variety _is_ actively maintained here; the latest patch came out this
January.  If you're using anything older than that you're not up to date,
and should get the latest version (see above).  You may also want to ask
me to put you on the "GAucsd" mailing list, where bugs, patches and new
releases are announced.

>2) There is another GENESIS -- an NN simulator from CalTech.  The
>   unfortunate namespace conflict will probably not be resolved.

Not to forget the GENESYS Artificial Life simulator at UCLA!  This situation
is indeed unfortunate, but it's a few years too late to do anything about
that.  Besides, we were there first. :-)

Your UCSD-GENESIS administrator-at-large,
--
Nicol N. Schraudolph, CSE Dept.  |   "I don't know about your dreams, but mine
Univ. of California, San Diego   | are sort of hackney: same thing night after

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (03/19/91)

From article <9103191334.AA28101@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu>, by simonofb@rckvm1.vnet.ibm.com:
>  1) Is there a newsgroup dedicated to Genetic Algorithms (other than the
>     digest).

   It does not have a USENET newsgroup of its own, but a mailing list
   is available called "Genetic Algorithms Digest."

   To subscribe to it, send e-mail to:
       GA-List-Request@AIC.NRL.NAVY.MIL
--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (03/20/91)

Here's the latest status of ftp sites for GENESIS 1.2ucsd:

iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (129.79.254.192) pub/alife/software/unix/GAucsd
sdcsvax.ucsd.edu     (132.239.51.2)   pub/GAucsd

The latest version is now up on sdcsvax, and both sites can henceforth be
considered "official" distribution points.  Plains.nodak.edu has promised
to update their GAucsd directory, but I won't look after things there --
they weren't even aware that the directory was accessible from anon ftp!

Regards,