[comp.ai.neural-nets] Comments: Books by Hertz, and Nelson.

sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr w.j. ho) (03/05/91)

I am interested to buy the following books. Any comments ( good and bad )
before I spend my hard-earned money will be appreciated.

Introduction to Theory of Neural Computation - Hertz
	Addison-Wesley; ISBN 50395 ( RRP Australian $46.95 )

and

Neural Networks Package - Nelson
	Addison-Wesley; ISBN 52376 ( RRP Australian $46.95 )
( A Practical Guide to Neural Nets )

Both books are fairly new and I haven't seen any of them in local bookshop.
So, I would like to know how good they are before putting in an order.
Thank you for all responses.

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   Wey Jing Ho   Tel: 61-3-5732567   E-mail : sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au  ^

dfausett@zach.fit.edu ( Donald W. Fausett) (03/13/91)

	The text by John Hertz, Anders Krogh, and Richard G. Palmer,
"Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation" (Addison-Wesley),
is an excellent book.  It provides a through mathematical development
of the basic neural network algorithms, and it is well written.  It
is available in a paperback edition, which makes it more affordable.

wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) (03/14/91)

In article <2202@winnie.fit.edu> dfausett@zach.UUCP ( Donald W. Fausett) writes:

>	The text by John Hertz, Anders Krogh, and Richard G. Palmer,
>"Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation" (Addison-Wesley),

>of the basic neural network algorithms, and it is well written.  It
>is available in a paperback edition, which makes it more affordable.

After reading many recommendations for this book, I went to my university
bookstore to order a copy.  The local distributor sent back a form notice
that the book is out of stock for an indefinite period.  Does anyone know
if I can order directly from the publisher, or anywhere else that can
sell me this book by mail-order ?  Have other readers also had trouble
obtaining the book?

jek@egrlab.ac.duke.edu (James Kittock) (03/15/91)

In article <103021@unix.cis.pitt.edu> wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) writes:
>In article <2202@winnie.fit.edu> dfausett@zach.UUCP ( Donald W. Fausett) writes:
>>
>>	The text by John Hertz, Anders Krogh, and Richard G. Palmer,
>>"Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation" (Addison-Wesley),
>

>>of the basic neural network algorithms, and it is well written.  It
>>is available in a paperback edition, which makes it more affordable.
>

>After reading many recommendations for this book, I went to my university
>bookstore to order a copy.  The local distributor sent back a form notice
>that the book is out of stock for an indefinite period.  Does anyone know
>if I can order directly from the publisher, or anywhere else that can
>sell me this book by mail-order ?  Have other readers also had trouble
>obtaining the book?

Our "Gothic Bookshop" had 4 copies (paperback, $30.00) earlier
today when I was looking at that book.  You can try calling them
at 919.684.3986 (I _think_ that is the number) or try calling
North Carolina information and getting the number from them
(you may have to ask for the Duke general number, which I think
might be 684-8111).  The city is Durham.   If you can't get
through or the Gothic won't  ship you a copy, e-mail me and
maybe we can work something out.

--james
jek@egrlab.ac.duke.edu

dfausett@zach.fit.edu ( Donald W. Fausett) (03/20/91)

In article <103021@unix.cis.pitt.edu> wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) writes:
>In article <2202@winnie.fit.edu> dfausett@zach.UUCP ( Donald W. Fausett) writes:
>>	The text by John Hertz, Anders Krogh, and Richard G. Palmer,
>>"Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation" (Addison-Wesley),
>
>>of the basic neural network algorithms, and it is well written.  It
>>is available in a paperback edition, which makes it more affordable.
>
>After reading many recommendations for this book, I went to my university
>bookstore to order a copy.  The local distributor sent back a form notice
>that the book is out of stock for an indefinite period.  Does anyone know
>if I can order directly from the publisher, or anywhere else that can
>sell me this book by mail-order ?  Have other readers also had trouble
>obtaining the book?

	I guess there have been too many recommendations, and the book has
been temporaraily unavailable.  I called Addison-Wesley in Reading, Mass.,
to inquire about the status of this book.  I was assured that it would be
available in paperback by mid-March (?).  I am still hoping to use it as a
textbook in the Spring quarter.  In case you would like to give them a call
also, the Addison-Wesley number is 617/944-3700.  For people in the southeast,
the Atlanta regional office number is 404/394-7268.  Maybe more phone calls
will encourage the publisher to expedite availability of this book.
		-- Don Fausett