[comp.ai.neural-nets] neural nets and well logging

inde47d@jetson.uh.edu (02/21/91)

Hi,

I am looking for references describing applications of neural networks
to well logging in the oil & gas industry. I have absolutely no clue as
to where to start looking. I would therefore appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

Shiv

cnbr37@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (02/22/91)

In article <8576.27c25884@jetson.uh.edu>, inde47d@jetson.uh.edu writes:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for references describing applications of neural networks
> to well logging in the oil & gas industry. I have absolutely no clue as
> to where to start looking. I would therefore appreciate any help I can get.
>
> Thank you
>
> Shiv

Check the proceedings of the last few IEEE International Conferences in
Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP). Its an annual conference,
this year to be in Toronto, last year in Alburquerque, 89-Glasgow,88-New York,
87-Dallas. They often have seismic related papers and I'm sure that I
have seen some relating to exactly the area you require.

Graham Freeland
cnbr17@vaxa.strathclyde.ac.uk

smagt@fwi.uva.nl (Patrick van der Smagt) (02/22/91)

inde47d@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>I am looking for references describing applications of neural networks
>to well logging in the oil & gas industry. I have absolutely no clue as
>to where to start looking. I would therefore appreciate any help I can get.

I don't have any direct references, but I know that Shell Research
is working on this problem with neural networks.  Try to find
something out there (in particular, Shell Research in Rijswijk,
The Netherlands has people working on the problem).

						Patrick van der Smagt
								    /\/\
                                                                    \  /
              University of Amsterdam, Kruislaan 403,            _  \/\/  _
              NL-1098 SJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands            | |      | |
Phone:        +31 20  525 7524                                  | | /\/\ | |
Fax:          +31 20  525 7490                                  | | \  / | |
                                                                | | /  \ | |
email:        smagt@fwi.uva.nl                                  | | \/\/ | |
                                                                | \______/ |
                                                                 \________/

								    /\/\
``The opinions expressed herein are the author's only and do        \  /
not necessarily reflect those of the University of Amsterdam.''     /  \
                                                                    \/\/
--
P.S. New address from Feb. 1:
	University of Amsterdam, Dept. of Computer Systems

vdputten@ravel.inria.fr (Frits Van Der Putten) (02/25/91)

I know the group and people Patrick is referring to.
They work on quality controll of oil wells using backprop networks
in a rather nice fashion.
If you like to contact them her is the address:

Dr. Willem J.M. Epping
Koninklijke Shell Exploratie en Produktie Laboratorium
Volmerlaan 6
2288 GD  Rijswijk ZH
The Netherlands
Tel (31).70.311.26.10 or switchboard: (31).70.311.39.11
FAX: (31).70.311.31.10

Frits van der Putten
P.O. Box 155
2600 AD  Delft
The Netherlands

email: vdputten@tpdsun.tno.nl

currently working at INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, France
email: vdputten.mirsa.inria.fr

sahtirn@ipla01.hac.com (Walter and Bill) (03/26/91)

Jerry Mendel (the Chair of the EE systems Dept @USC) has recently published
an article on using Hopfield nets for Maximium Likelihood Deconvolution
in the processing of seismic reflectivity data.  You might wish to speak with
him or one of his students about it.