[comp.ai.neural-nets] SUMMARY NeuralWorks Pro PLUS/II

wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (William G. Innanen) (04/09/91)

  Recently I posted a request for opinions on the NN package
"NeuralWorks Professional II/PLUS" for the Macintosh and other
machines.  I received several resopnses, unfortunately none of
them from Mac users.  The responses (and the resulting correspondence)
were nonetheless useful.  Following this is the original posting,
most of the responses, and some follow up correspondence.

  I've learned from NeuralWare that there is a current 50% (!)
discount for qualifying academic customers.  This is only for
NeuralWorks, not for the other packages such as DesignerPack.

  Thanks again to all who answered.  And if there are _any_ Mac
users of NeuralWorks out there, I'd still like to hear from you!

			Bill Innanen
			wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

=========================== Original Posting ===========================
  I am beginning the process of proposing a project involving
the use of neural nets.  I would like to hear from anyone
who has experience with the package "NeuralWorks Professional
II/PLUS" by NeuralWare, Inc. of Pittsburgh.  I am planning on
using it with a Macintosh IIfx so I would be most interested
in Mac users' opinions.  Since the package is available for
several other machines, comments from other users would also
be appreciated.

  If you have some other favorite neural net package for the
Mac, I would be interested in hearing about that, also.

  Since I'm not a regular reader of this group, please respond
by e-mail.  I will post a summary if response (and interest)
warrant.
========================== Replies =====================================
From: hdavids@mswe.dnet.ms.philips.nl
Subject: Re: NeuralWare

Bill,

On your request for user experiences with NeuralWare:

we have used the Neuralware package for some time now. Overall, our
impression was that it is a good starting point if you are for the
first time going to experiment with NNs. Lots of options let you get
started quickly, but once you are into serious work, it is usually
better to write your own software so you know exactly what's going on.
We have used the accompanying Designerpack to transfer network sw from
the PC to our Suns. The PC (a 386 with floating point chip) proved to
be too slow for real-life problems. The generated sources that you
have to compile on the Sun are very hairy - not something you'll love
to update.

Henk
From: William G. Innanen <wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu>
To: hdavids@mswe.dnet.ms.philips.nl

Henk,

	Thanks for the reply!  Your comments on the DesignerPack were especially
welcome.  I hadn't planned on ordering it immediately, relying instead on the
"Flash Code" feature that comes bundled with NW/Pro.  Any comments?  I'm
planning to use the code to develop Mac applications.  I'll be building my demo
programs on a Mac IIfx (68030 @ 40 MHz) with 8 Mb memory and an accelertated
graphic board.  Do you think that will be fast enough to keep me from growing a
beard while I watch it?

			Bill Innanen
From: hdavids@mswe.dnet.ms.philips.nl
To: wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

Bill,

the Flash Code feature is something that I don't know about. Guess I'll
have to read the release notes more carefully that came with the latest
update.
The performance of the Mac should be sufficient for moderate-size problems,
although a floating point co-processor would help a lot. Is that installed?
We tried to teach a network to recognize hart contours from X-ray images,
and for that type of problem you need all the cpu power you can get. To
give you an idea: we used a fast Sparc server, with lots of memory, but it
still took around 2 days (!) to get to the point where the network would
stabilize. Now this may not exactly be the easiest type of application, but
one lesson we learned from this is that you shouldn't jump too hastily to
the conclusion that the learning process has reached a stable state, or that
your network does not converge.

The trouble in general with NN's is that you want to try various combinations
of networks and training algorithms, adjusting the parameters a little on
many runs. Without dedicated hardware this takes a long time, sometimes to
long to be practical. However, if you're doing something that has not been
tried before, you have no option.
On a more optimistic note: I also tried to teach a standard backprop net
to predict the results of the major soccer league here in Holland. That
network had 36 input nodes, 24 in a hidden layer and 2 output nodes. Using
the outcome of the 188 games played sofar, the training took 45 minutes on
the Sparc. And the Sparc is able to compute the exp() function in 4 micro-
seconds...

Good luck,
	Henk
To: hdavids@mswe.dnet.ms.philips.nl
From: wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

Henk,
	Yes, a Mac IIfx has a floating point co-processor (all Mac II's do).

	The fax I got from NeuralWare, Inc. gives the following features for the
Mac version of NeuralWorks Professional II/Plus (I'm still waiting for the
literature via snail).  Are they different from what you have?

	* A graphical interface with an icon based tool palette.
	* "FlashCode(tm)" which instantly converts your fully trained networks into
	   highly portable "C" code routines.
	* "ExplainNet(tm)" ...
	* "BackProp Builder(tm)" ...
	* "Neural Probe(tm)"...
	* Support for 20 nn paradigms through "InstaNet(tm)"
	* Support for nn chip development.
	* Flexible, expandable architecture. ...
	* Over 900 pages of docs...
	* On-line help...

	Thanks for all of your help.  Its nice to know that someone has gone on
before me.
			Bill Innanen
PS:  From the look of things they gave the Trade Mark Office a "WorkOut(tm)"
		:-)  WGI
From: hdavids@mswe1.dnet.ms.philips.nl
To: wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Subject: NeuralWare and FlashCode

Bill,

according to the docs that came with our latest update we now also
have the NeuralWorks Professional II/Plus software, and that includes
the FlashCode command. So, that puts an end to my bewilderment. I haven't
tried it yet (have to find a machine to convert the floppies first), but
when I do I will let you know how the code looks.

According to the documentation however, FlashCode can only be used to create
code for *fully trained* networks. Designer Pack is able to give
you code that you can run on an other machine to actually train a net.
So, in order to use a faster cpu to shorten the training process you
still need Designer Pack. That would not be so bad if only Designer Pack
weren't so expensive: about a year ago, when we bought the Neuralworks
software, the Professional II package for IBM-PC cost $1495, but Designer
Pack was $1995. I still think that it was money well spent, but the ratio
between the the two strikes me as a bit odd. Probably something to do with
their pricing policy - still being able to sell the SUN version for a nice
sum.

Can you please change whatever you intend to post with these findings in mind?
Thanks, I'll be in touch later.

Henk
From: schultz@halley.serc.3m.com (John C. Schultz)
Subject: Need Opinions on NeuralWorks Professional II/PLUS

We have been using NeuralWare Nworks II for about a year and are quite
pleased with both the software, the performance, and the support
personnel. We run it on a sun 3 which would be a little slower than a
MAC IIFX I would think.  You will probably want to use multi-finder on
the MAC since training for several hours is not unusual.  Running
heavy duty, compute bound programs in the background may provide
unacceptable interactive performance on a MAC.

I would highly recommend the one week training class even though it is
rather expensive ($1500).

I like the diagnostic tools provided with Nworks.  The software is
also reasonably priced (lots cheaper the Hecht-Nielson for example).

The only concern I would have with using a MAC (other than the
multi-tasking issue above), is that NeuralWare does their developement
on a SUN, then ports to the PC and then to the MAC.  This may delay
your software revisions.
From: s72026@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (gaynier ronald)

I have a copy of NeuralWorks Pro II, it is a fine if you're not interested
in doing what isn't already being done. In other words, if you're interested
in using neural networks as a tool in your project it may suit your needs,
however if you are interested in doing neural network research for its own
sake you may be disappointed.

On a IBM compatable who really need extended memory and a math co-processor,
its a large program and doesn't seem real efficient. That may be because it
tries to do too many things. It is a good teaching tool however and does allow
you to create and try networks very easily.

William G. Innanen
Johns Hopkins Univ/Applied Physics Lab
(Internet) wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu