[comp.ai.neural-nets] NN in Business DSS -- Information needed!

jwaxlax@abo.fi (Joakim Waxlax) (04/17/91)

NN in Business applications

I am writing a paper on NN i Business DSS and
I am looking for articles covering this topic.

I have heard of NN applications for avoiding
credit card freuds and for predicting stock market
prices.  Are these applications really in use and
is it possible to get some information about them,
(obviously nobody would tell if they had a system
that could predict the stock market) but anyway.

If somebody out there have any suggestion, or
information please let me know.

Thank you!

Joakim Waxlax
Abo Akademi University
FINLAND

email: jwaxlax@finabo.abo.fi (bitnet)

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (04/18/91)

From article <7452.280b6cb5@abo.fi>, by jwaxlax@abo.fi (Joakim Waxlax):
> NN in Business applications
>
> I am writing a paper on NN i Business DSS and
> I am looking for articles covering this topic.

 Martingale Research Corp. developed a commodity trading package for
 cattle using the backprop algorithm.  For more information, you can contact
 Joe Collard at 214-422-4570 in Allen, Texas, USA.  (I don't have an
 e-mail or snail mail address for you).

 Probably your best source of information would be "Neural Net Applications
 and Products" by Richard K. Miller, published by SEAI Technical Publications,
 P.O. Box 590, Madison, Georgia 30650.

--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

dwunsch@bcsaic.UUCP (Don Wunsch) (04/20/91)

The upcoming proceedings of the IJCNN-91-Seattle will include an
article entitled:

A commodity trading model based on a neural network-expert system
hybrid.

by Karl Bergerson and Don Wunsch

The article is a fairly straightforward application of backpropogation,
with the twist that the neural net is actually used as a knowledge
aquisition tool.  That is, it doesn't merely try to predict the
market at all times using historical data, but intstead learns from
an expert's input how to make a prediction during a relatively rare
window of opportunity.  This is important for a practical system,
where it doesn't matter if your predictions are ultimately usually
right, if you lose all your money before you get to that point.
It's better to miss a few chances to make some gains to get
higher confidence for the trading moves that are made.

Mr. Bergerson is the corresponding author and can be reached at
Neural Trading Company
8045 20th Ave. NW
Seattle, WA 98117-4336

kevin@milton.u.washington.edu (Kevin Caskey) (04/24/91)

In article <7452.280b6cb5@abo.fi> jwaxlax@abo.fi (Joakim Waxlax) writes:
>NN in Business applications
>
>I am writing a paper on NN i Business DSS and
>I am looking for articles covering this topic.
>
>I have heard of NN applications for avoiding
>credit card freuds and for predicting stock market
>prices.  Are these applications really in use and
>is it possible to get some information about them,
>(obviously nobody would tell if they had a system
>that could predict the stock market) but anyway.
>
>If somebody out there have any suggestion, or
>information please let me know.
>
>Thank you!
>
>Joakim Waxlax
>Abo Akademi University
>FINLAND

I am also interested in neural networks used for financial forecasting.
Does anyone know whether there is any information about NN and Market
Timing? This is for a class project, I personally have no money as I am
a grad student. Any references in this use in general would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin Caskey, Univ of Washington
        kevin@u.washington.edu