[comp.ai.neural-nets] What is Neural Networks?

za081@zeus.unomaha.edu (CHU' MA.) (04/28/91)

Hello everyone,

I heard a lot about neural networks but I have no ideas what this field
is all about.  I am student of computer science who also interest medical
research.  Where can I find information about computer science application
in this area?  If I would like to do graduate work in the area that
can utilize computer science in medical research, what fields should
I look into?  and which schools offer these disciplines?

	Hope to hear from someone.....

	Mike Nguyen

esrmm@warwick.ac.uk (Denis Anthony) (04/28/91)

In article <13776.281a0edf@zeus.unomaha.edu> za081@zeus.unomaha.edu (CHU' MA.) writes:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I heard a lot about neural networks but I have no ideas what this field
>is all about.  I am student of computer science who also interest medical
>research.  Where can I find information about computer science application
>in this area?  If I would like to do graduate work in the area that
>can utilize computer science in medical research, what fields should
>I look into?  and which schools offer these disciplines?

Medical stuff has included the following :-

1. Classification, particularly diagnoses in "fuzzy" areas.

2. Signal processing

3. Solution of inverse problem in ultrasound (my current work) and impedance imaging

4. Cancellation of echo delay in ultrasound

5. Expert systems

6. EGC, EEG classification

7. Automatic reporting of image abnormailities in (e.g.) nuclear medicine

A lot of articles on medical area were presented in :-

@proceedings{U71,
	title =	"Images of the 21st Century: IEEE Eng. in Medicine and Biology 11th Annual Conference",
	booktitle =	"Images of the 21st Century: IEEE Eng. in Medicine and Biology 11th Annual Conference",
	year =		"1989",
	organization="IEEE",
}

Denis