[comp.ai.neural-nets] 5 Giga Connections per Second

uh311ae@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Henrik Klagges) (04/30/91)

Hello !
I heard that neural networks hardware is advancing. Current specifications
lie in the range of:
- 5 giga connections / s peak
- 1 G conn. updates / s backprop learning rate
- 1 M connection capacity
- integer representation with 1, 8, 16 bits, signed/unsigned
- workstation interface with Ethernet , net algorithm library, debugger,
  visualizer, C interface
Do you think this is real ? Do you know about companies actually
selling/using such units ? Specifically, is 8bit quantization enough for
most algorithms - this would be nice, because then the logistic acfunc
could be put into a table (super-hoopey-fast) ?
Last not least, what the hell do we need this for ?
Thank you for feedback, yours, Henrik Klagges
University of Munich, Physics Department

arms@cs.UAlberta.CA (Bill Armstrong) (05/01/91)

uh311ae@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Henrik Klagges) writes:

>I heard that neural networks hardware is advancing. Current specifications
>lie in the range of:
>- 5 giga connections / s peak
>- 1 G conn. updates / s backprop learning rate
>- 1 M connection capacity
>- integer representation with 1, 8, 16 bits, signed/unsigned

Adaptive Solutions Inc. of Beaverton, Oregon, announced a 64 processor
chip that was supposed to do 12.8 Giga connections/second with 1 bit
weights for feedforward use.  Sorry I don't have more details.

Prof. William W. Armstrong, Computing Science Dept.
University of Alberta; Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1
arms@cs.ualberta.ca Tel(403)492 2374 FAX 492 1071