[comp.ai.neural-nets] Digital Character Recognition

garydean@images.cs.und.ac.za (04/26/91)

I'm currently studying for my Computer Science Honours and would like to use
neural nets to solve the problem of digit recognition.

I plan to have a grid as input and would like to train the network using patterns
of the digits 0-9.  After training, I would like the network to distinguish a digit
entered albeit in a slightly distorted form.

I have been reading the volumes available from the PDP research group. I have
tentatively decided to use back propogation but would like any form of comment
or references to help me.

Thanx in antcipation.

Gary Nicholson.

Reply to :

garydean@images.CS.UND.AC.ZA

arms@cs.UAlberta.CA (Bill Armstrong) (05/02/91)

garydean@images.cs.und.ac.za writes:

>I'm currently studying for my Computer Science Honours and would like to use
>neural nets to solve the problem of digit recognition.

>I have been reading the volumes available from the PDP research group. I have
>tentatively decided to use back propogation but would like any form of comment
>or references to help me.

>Gary Nicholson.

I have used adaptive logic networks for OCR.  They were tested on the
Highleyman data from the US Post Office, which had handwritten
numerals 0 - 9, as you intend to use.  The logic networks proved to be
quite immune to salt-and-pepper noise and rotation of synthesized
characters, so I'm sure you would have no problems in making an OCR
system with them.  I suspect the system would be faster than a
backpropagation network both for learning and execution.

The code is available by ftp from menaik.cs.ualberta.ca
[129.128.4.241] in pub/atree.tar.Z.  Here is a reference with some
experiments on noise immunity and rotation, done with a less powerful
early adaptive algorithm.

W. Armstrong and J. Gecsei, "Adaptation Algorithms for
Binary Tree Networks", IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and
Cybernetics, 9, 1979, pp. 276-285.

Prof. William W. Armstrong, Computing Science Dept.
University of Alberta; Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1
arms@cs.ualberta.ca Tel(403)492 2374 FAX 492 1071

jondarr@macadam.mqcs.mq.oz.au (jondarr c g h 2 gibb) (05/09/91)

This is sort of for Gary, but if he doesn't get it, maybe someone else can
help.
I can't work out the address of images.cs.und.ac.za - it's that simple.

Here I am in the land of oz, an honours student doing benchmarking for the
common neural network simulation algorithms on the standard problem set
( which I'm expanding as I go ), and I wondered if there was anyone else
out there doing this sort of thing, etc, etc.

I have some interest in digit or character recognition, and intend to include
these in my benchmarking. I have collected oodles of references published
on net and referred to from there on in. I have toyed with algorithms of
standards ranging from basic implementations of Lippmann's interpretations
and simplifications through to 'real' implemented programs.

If anyone has any useful references on benchmarking ( aside from the standard
Fahlman, Veitch, Ackley, etc ) which actually do fair comparisons, and do not
just promote their own pet algorithms, would they be kind enough to post or
e-mail where such items can be found.

I'm probably not the only one with this sort of interest.

                     Thanx, etc,
                                 jondarr

[ jondarr@macadam.mqcs.mq.oz.au - 137.111.160.57 ]

P.S. anyone else out there in the land of oz ?