[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V7 #25

neuron-request@HPLMS2.HPL.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (05/12/91)

Neuron Digest   Saturday, 11 May 1991
                Volume 7 : Issue 25

Today's Topics:
              Network: A New, Affordable Subscription Price
                   Position available in Tokyo, Japan
                 Position available - Sydney, Australia
             WANTED: Information on NN in militairy systems
           Re: WANTED: Information on NN in militairy systems
                 New Information Processing Technologies
         Bibliography on transputer implementions of neural nets
                           Decade of the Brain
                       postmark deadline for NIPS
                              Bibliography
  application material for Methods in Computational Neuroscience course
                    Hybrid Systems at IJCNN Singapore

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
Use "ftp" to get old issues from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.176.205).

One of the several good neural network journals to have started in the
last year or two is Network: Computation in Neural Systems, edited by
Daniel Amit.  The journal is self-consciously interdisciplinary between
Neuroscience and physical/mathematical/computational sciences. The scope
of the articles is similar to that of the articles found in Neural
Computation, but Network includes primarily full papers (long articles)
whereas Neural Computation includes primarily letters (short articles).
My own interest in Network is motivated in no small part by the fact that
the long, complete version of the paper of David MacKay and myself
analyzing Linsker's simulations is found in Network, Vol. 1, #3; a short
version was in Neural Computation.  To mention a very few among many
other recent authors: D. Willshaw, J. Hopfield, M. Abeles, P. Simic, D.
Parisi, D. Amit, A. Selverston, G. Toulouse, V. Braitenberg, J. Nadal, E.
Rolls.

Network has been relatively inaccessible, at least in the US.  I think
this has been largely due to its very high subscription price.  So I am
writing to advertise the fact that Network has just instituted a very
affordable subscription price for individuals.  The new price for
individuals is $37.90/year (US, Canada and Mexico), 17.30 lbs/year (UK),
or 20.50 lbs/year (other).  This price applies to Volume 1 (1990), as
well as to the current volume, Vol. 2 (1991).

an/Mex: American Institute of Physics, Subscriber Services, 500 Sunnyside
Blvd, Woodbury, NY 11797-2999; 516-349-7800 x628; Other: Journals Mkting
Dept., IOP Publishing, Techno House, Redcliffe Way, Bristol BS1 6NX,
England.  I won't spend bandwidth listing contents of recent issues;
people at these addresses can send you literature.

Ken Miller

------------------------------

Subject: Position available in Tokyo, Japan
From:    shaun@isr.recruit.co.jp (Shaun Lawson)
Date:    Fri, 26 Apr 91 17:26:11 +0200

The Institute for Supercomputing Research (ISR), a research branch of a
Japanese information service company with annual sales of two billion
dollars, is geared towards basic research in computer science and
computer related areas.  Our activities include supercomputer performance
evaluation, architecture, visualization, neural networks, multimedia
information systems, and network/system management.

We currently have an opening in the neural network group for a visiting
researcher.  This will be a one or two year position, and it will involve
basic research in neural network algorithms and applications research in
areas such as character recognition and optimization.  This is an
excellent opportunity to extend your skills while participating in the
Japanese neural network community.

We are seeking creative, highly motivated individuals who have obtained a
graduate degree in computer science or other computation related
disciplines to join us.  Successful applicants will be relocated to
Tokyo.  Long term positions require knowledge of Japanese.  If you are
interest in the above position please send your resume (including
publications) and a cover letter to:

        shaun@isr.recruit.co.jp

 or

        Institute for Supercomputing Research
        15F Inui Bldg.
        Kachidoki 1-13-1
        Kachidoki Chuo-ku
        Tokyo 104 Japan
        Tel: 011-81-3-536-7785
        Fax: 011-81-3-536-7769

=-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shaun Lawson                                  Tel : (03)3536-7770
Institute for Supercomputing Research         Fax : (03)3536-7769
1-13-1 Kachidoki, Chuo-ku                Internet : shaun@isr.recruit.co.jp
Tokyo, Japan 104                      Disclaimers : Standard

------------------------------

Subject: Position available - Sydney, Australia
From:    Max Coltheart <ps_coltheart@vaxa.mqcc.mq.oz.au>
Date:    Wed, 01 May 91 08:46:38 -0500

PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY AT MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA.

A Full Professor position is available in the psychology department at
Macquarie University. Applicants with interests in any area of psychology
are welcomed. Further information from ps_coltheart@vaxa.mqcc.mq.oz.au or
mcolthea@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au. Closing date is June 4 1991.

Applications should be directed to the Academic Staff Office, Macquarie
University, Sydney 2109, NSW, Australia.

Max Coltheart

------------------------------

Subject: WANTED: Information on NN in militairy systems
From:    obm8@cs.kun.nl
Date:    Thu, 02 May 91 14:10:27 +0200

We are students from the university of Nijmegen and we are searching for
some kind of literature concerning the use of neural networks in
militairy systems. Especially articles which adress the usage of NN and
the constraints in which they have to operate.  Here in the Netherlands
it is pretty difficult to get some information about this. We would
appreciate any reaction (as fast as possible be- cause we're dealing with
a deadline) on these matters.  You can send it to:

Parcival Willems,
Paul Jones,

obm8@erato.cs.kun.nl

------------------------------

Subject: Re: WANTED: Information on NN in militairy systems
From:    John Bridle <bridle@ai.toronto.edu>
Date:    Thu, 02 May 91 10:21:31 -0400

You ask about data on NNs in military systems.

My collegue Andrew Webb has published a paper "Potential Applications of
NNs in Defence" or similar.  It is basically a survey of literature on
the subject.  (Andrew does know a lot about NNs and some areas of defence
electronics.)

He is at
webb@hermes.mod.uk
Mention my name.

 From: John S Bridle                 Currently with:  Geoff Hinton
 of:   Speech Research Unit                           Dept of Computer Science
      Defence Research Agency                         University of Toronto
        Electronics Division
        RSRE
      St Andrews Road                                 Toronto   Ontario
      Great Malvern                                   Canada
      Worcs.     WR14 3PS                (Until 15 May 1991)
      U.K.                                 Email: bridle@ai.toronto.edu
 Email: bridle@hermes.mod.uk

------------------------------

Subject: New Information Processing Technologies
From:    Charles Wilson x2080 <wilson@magi.ncsl.nist.gov>
Date:    Fri, 03 May 91 12:31:10 -0400

        As part of the US response to the Japanese ``Sixth
       Generation Computer'' initiate, specifically the ``New
       Information Processing Technologies'' (NIPT) cooperative
       initiaive, the Advanced Systems Division of NIST is
       preparing a report on `` new information processing
       technologies''. This report will be used to help set
       future US policy in these areas. These technologies
       include massively parallel computing, distributed
       processing, neural computing, optical computing, and
       fuzzy logic. This report will include:

        1) identification of emerging technologies (are these
       the technologies which will provide ``human like response''
       in computer systems);

        2) assessment of economic impact of NIPT technologies
       (which technologies will move from toy system to real
       systems and when);

        3) assessment of present US position relative to Japan
        and how international collaborations will affect these
        positions.

        4) national security considerations.

        The Japanese are particularly interested funding in US
       (largely university) participation. The report must be
       completed before May 31.

        Other agencies such as DARPA and NSF will be asked to
       comment.

        Interested US researchers are invited to respond by E-
       mail. Comments on items 1 and 2 from researchers working
       in these areas are particularly important. Response
       received after May 15 have lower probability of
       inclusion.

                                        C. L. Wilson

                                        (301) 975-2080
                                   FAX  (301) 590-0932
                                 E-mail wilson@magi.ncsl.nist.gov

PLEASE RESPOND TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE AND NOT TO THIS MAILING LIST.

------------------------------

Subject: Bibliography on transputer implementions of neural nets
From:    "Tom Tollenaere" <ORBAN%BLEKUL13.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:    Mon, 06 May 91 13:12:17 +0000

Dear Bulletin Board,

A Couple of weeks (months ???) ago I posted a call on the bulletin board,
asking people involved in neural network simulations on parallel machines
in general, on transputers, more specifically, to get in touch with me,
since I was compiling this Technical Report on the subject of simulating
networks on parallel machines.  The 'was' in the previous sentence now
turned into 'have been' : yeah, a first version just got finished.  We
got problems with email, so I cannot email it to anybody, but anyone
interested can get in touch with me, and I'll send you a copy by
snail-mail.  All the people that reacted to my call needn't contact me,
their copy's in the mail today.

The report consists of two parts: the first part is a bibliography of
about 100 papers on parallel implementations of neural networks, and the
second part is a list of about 50 contact addresses of people working in
this field.  Neither of the two lists is complete - any comments,
updates, corrections and additions are alwyas welcome - I'll keep the
list up-to-date, and if there is sufficient interest, I'll inform the
bulletin board of any important updates.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Tollenaere
Laboratorium voor Neurofysiologie, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49
B-3000 Leuven - Belgium

email - ORBAN at BLEKUL13.EARN of ORBAN at BLEKUL13.BITNET
Phone + 016/215960 ; fax : + 016/215993
Acknowledge-To: <ORBAN@BLEKUL13>

------------------------------

Subject: Decade of the Brain
From:    Floyd Bloom <Floyd_Bloom.NEUROPHARM@nplab>
Date:    06 May 91 11:33:40

                       Subject:                               Time:5:50 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Decade of the Brain                    Date:4/25/91

I'm sending this message to you and a few other selected colleagues to
try to gather some personal perspectives on what the Decade of the Brain
represents to working neuroscientists.  I promise not to quote you
directly, but knowing your views on the following couple of points would
help me a lot in a presentation I will be making at the Centennial of the
Neuron meeting at the Academy in June, and for a short article I was
asked to do on this same aspect for Scientific American.  If you wish,
feel free to share this with your own EMAIL correspondents.

Basically, in your own (top of the head) view: what do you see the Decade
of the Brain providing for your own work, or for work in your field of
neuroscience research, and what will have to happen next for this maximum
yield to take place?  You can send me your answers here
(floyd_bloom@nplab.scripps.edu) or by fax (619-554-8851) or even by real
mail.  I know you are busy with many other concerns, so I don't expect
you to spend a lot of time on this; I'm more interested in your immediate
response some 18 months into "the Decade".

With best regards

Floyd

------------------------------

Subject: postmark deadline for NIPS
From:    John Pearson W343 x2385 <jcp@sarnoff.com>
Date:    Thu, 09 May 91 15:37:10 -0400

All submittals to the 1991 NIPS conference and workshop must be
POSTMARKED by May 17th. Express mail is not necessary.

        John Pearson
        Publicity Chairman, NIPS-91
        jcp@as1.sarnoff.com

------------------------------

Subject: Bibliography
From:    Anders Krogh <ASKROGH@nbivax.nbi.dk>
Date:    Fri, 10 May 91 13:00:00 +0200

Bibliography in the Neuroprose Archive:

Bibliography from the book "Introduction to the Theory of Neural
Computation" by John Hertz, Anders Krogh, and Richard Palmer
(Addison-Wesley, 1991) has been placed in the Neuroprose Archive.

After a suggestion from Tali Tishby we decided to make the bibliography
for our book publicly available in the Neuroprose Archive.  The copyright
of the book is owned by Addison-Wesley and this bibliography is placed in
the public domain with their permission.  We spent considerable effort on
the bibliography while writing the book, and hope that other researchers
will benefit from it.

It is written in the TeX format developed for the book, and the file
includes the macros needed to make it TeX-able.  It should be fairly easy
to adapt the macros and/or bibliographic entries for individual needs.
If anyone converts it to BiBtex---or improves it in other ways---we
encourage them to put the new version in the Neuroprose Archive, or
e-mail it to one of the following addresses so that we can do so.

      askrogh@nbivax.nbi.dk
      palmer@phy.duke.edu

Please note that we are not intending to update this bibliography, except
to correct mistakes.  It would be great if someone would maintain a
complete online NN bibliography, but WE cannot.  So please don't send us
requests of the form "please add my paper ...".

                         John Hertz, Anders Krogh, and Richard G. Palmer.

=--------------------------

To obtain copies from Neuroprose:

      unix> ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu      # (or ftp 128.146.8.62)
      Name: anonymous
      Password: neuron
      ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
      ftp> binary
      ftp> get hertz.refs.tex.Z
      ftp> bye

If you want to print it, do something like this (depending on your local
system):

      unix> uncompress hertz.refs.tex
      unix> tex hertz.refs.tex
      unix> dvi2ps hertz.refs    (the dvi to postscript converter)
      unix> lpr hertz.refs.ps

------------------------------

Subject: application material for Methods in Computational Neuroscience course
From:    ken@cns.caltech.edu
Date:    Fri, 26 Apr 91 08:39:35 -0700

With respect to the previous 2nd announcement about the Methods of
Computational Neuroscience course: I have received numerous inquiries as
to how to obtain application materials rapidly (since the deadline for
receipt of applications is soon -- May 15), so it seems merited to post
the following info to the net as a whole:

 --- To repeat, the person who must be contacted to obtain application
material, and to whom completed applications should be sent, is: Ms.
Florence Dwayne, Admissions Coordinator, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods
Hole, MA 02543.  [Note, I left the 'y' out of her last name in previous
posting].
 --- THERE IS NO E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR OBTAINING OR RETURNING APPLICATIONS.
 --- Ms. Dwayne can be reached by phone at 508-548-3705, extension 216.
 --- IF NECESSARY she can be reached by fax at 508-457-1924.  The MBL fax
    machine is extremely busy, so they prefer not to send applications out
    by fax.  However they will do so if necessary, particularly for overseas
    applicants.
 --- If completed applications must be returned quickly, please if possible
    use express mail or a courier service (i.e. Federal Express, DHL).
    Again, applications can IF NECESSARY be returned by fax, but this is
    strongly discouraged if an alternative is available.

Ken Miller

------------------------------

Subject: Hybrid Systems at IJCNN Singapore
From:    Chris Lacher <lacher@lambda.cs.fsu.edu>
Date:    Thu, 02 May 91 13:37:17 -0400

From:     Chris Lacher (R. C. Lacher)
          lacher@cs.fsu.edu
          (904) 644-0058  (FAX)

Subject:  Hybrid Systems

As you probably know, the International Joint Conference on Neural
Networks has, for the first time in IJCNN91/Singapore, a submission
category for hybrid systems research, officially titled ``Hybrid Systems
(AI, Neural Networks, Fuzzy Systems)".  Some have argued that a better
descriptor will eventually be "General Intelligent Systems".  In any
case, coupled (loose or tight), composit, or hybrid systems are meant to
be included in the concept.

The conference is sponsored by IEEE and co-sponsored by INNS and will be
held at the Westin Stamford and Westin Plaza Hotels in Singapore,
November 18-21, 1991.  This is a significant milestone, a response to and
recognition of the growing importance of systems that integrate various
machine intelligence technologies across traditional boundaries.  This
meeting will help define the field, its foundations, and its founders.  I
am writing to urge you to participate in this historically significant
event.

Full details on paper submissions are published as page 407 in the May,
1991, issue of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks. Note that the
deadline for RECEIPT of manuscripts is May 31, 1991.

End of Neuron Digest [Volume 7 Issue 25]