[comp.ai.neural-nets] Artificial Retinas

S.Goonatilake@cs.ucl.ac.uk (suran) (05/13/91)

Does anybody know of any practical applications using Carver
Mead's artificial retinas ? Are there any new papers published
about the project - I only have one paper from the Neurocomputing
book (eds Anderson & Rosenfeld).

Thanks,

Suran Goonatilake
Dept. of Computer Science
University College London
Gower St.
London WC1E 6BT
Uk.

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) (05/16/91)

In article <1561@ucl-cs.uucp> S.Goonatilake@cs.ucl.ac.uk (suran) writes:

>Does anybody know of any practical applications using Carver
>Mead's artificial retinas ?

The Mahowald Retina from Mead's group at CIT makes an exceedingly
useful "front-end" for other visual chips (such as motion detectors, etc.)
It allows a chip to be active over a large interval of brightnesses at one
time.

>Are there any new papers published
>about the project - I only have one paper from the Neurocomputing
>book (eds Anderson & Rosenfeld).

I am not sure, but I do know that other groups are working on
reducing the complexity of the circuitry.  One group at Hopkins
is creating a retina based on 2-transistor current-conveyors instead of
the 5-transistor transconductance amplifier.

By reducing the size and complexity of the retinal circuit, more
visual processing "back-end" circuitry can be put on the chip
for a given pixel density.

-Thoams Edwards