[comp.ai.neural-nets] Radial basis functions

kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) (05/15/91)

 Radial basis functions are nonmonotonic and are not
 used for nets using backprop.  How can then one determine
 the centers and radii of these functions ?

					SURYA KAVURI

tylerh@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tyler R. Holcomb) (05/16/91)

kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) writes:

> Radial basis functions are nonmonotonic and are not
> used for nets using backprop.  How can then one determine
> the centers and radii of these functions ?
>
>					SURYA KAVURI

1.  See the comprehensive papers by Poggio and Girosi.

 M.I.T  A.I Lab :  A.I. Memo no 1140,  July 1989
                   A.I. Memo no 1167,  April 1990
A note in Science about 1 1/2 years ago (sorry - don't
have reference with me).

2.  The seminal paper by Moody & Darken  "Fast learning in
Networks of Locally-Tuned Processing Units."  Vol 1, pp.
281-294 Neural Computation, 1989.

Remember - backprop just means "gradient descent", which
is exactly how Poggio goes about training his RBF networks.
However, M&D's method, while appearing very simplistic, is
orders of magnitude faster and every bit as effective as "backprop".

I have just completed a comparitive study of three  current
training methods, an extension to M&D, and a new method
I have come up with.  Unfortunatley, this work will not be
ready in printed form until late fall (there is some other
business I need to attend to before I can sit down and do the writing).
Without knowing more about your intended application, I would recommend
the K-means approach in M&D.

Tyler Holcomb   *   "Remember, one treats others with courtesy and repsect *
tylerh@juliet   *   not because they are gentlemen or gentlewomen, but     *
  caltech.edu   *   because you are."       -Garth Henrichs                *

kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.194433.10566@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, tylerh@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tyler R. Holcomb) writes:
> kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) writes:
>

> > Radial basis functions are nonmonotonic and are not
> > used for nets using backprop.  How can then one determine
> > the centers and radii of these functions ?
> >
> >					SURYA KAVURI
>
> Remember - backprop just means "gradient descent", which
> is exactly how Poggio goes about training his RBF networks.

  Thanks for your reply.  I would like to ask some questions.

  Do they use RMS error minimization instead of Kmeans ?
  I can imagine serious local minima problems with gradient
 descent algos for RBF nets.  How does this fare with K-means approach ?

> However, M&D's method, while appearing very simplistic, is
> orders of magnitude faster and every bit as effective as "backprop".
>
> Without knowing more about your intended application, I would recommend
> the K-means approach in M&D.

** How does K-means approach fare in case of sparse training data ?
 As I see it, RBF with K-means is a better scheme for classification
 than KNNs (K nearest neighbors) as it does not need to store the
 class samples explicitly.  RBF only needs to store a few centers
 and scale factors.  This advantage seems to blur when the number
 of RBFs needed is high.  Number of RBFs can be large when the
 classes are close and are elongated.

 ** How does Kmeans approach work when the classes are close ?
  As I understand, you randomly pick some centers  for clusters
 and classify all the points in a class to these clusters depending
 on their distance(Euclidean) from these centers.  When classes are
 close, is a cluster allowed to include points from more than one class ?
 Or, do we limit the growth of the spheres when a point of a different
 class is encountered ? If we choose to stop the growth of the sphere
 when a point of a different class is encountered, the spheres grown for
 a particular class may not be able to cover all the sample points for
 that class.  This may need to further pick some more starting points
 and make new spheres until all the patterns are well enclosed.

 Basically, How does Kmeans apprach work in the case of very close classes ?

> --
> Tyler Holcomb   *   "Remember, one treats others with courtesy and repsect *
> tylerh@juliet   *   not because they are gentlemen or gentlewomen, but     *
>   caltech.edu   *   because you are."       -Garth Henrichs                *

 SURYA N. KAVURI
 (FIAT LUX)