[comp.ai.neural-nets] Clustering

kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) (05/21/91)

  Is there any reason why clustering is always(atleast what I
  saw in books) unsupervised ?

  Are there any clustering methods which are used when the
  category information (class membership) is available ?

  Is Kmeans clustering only unsupervised or is it used
  with the class information ?

  I'd appreciate any help.

   SURYA KAVURI
   (FIAT LUX)

greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.203008.27681@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) writes:

     Is there any reason why clustering is always(atleast what I
     saw in books) unsupervised ?

Clustering is a way to sort things into groups that share similarities.
If you already know the classes to which the things belong, what's the
point of trying to cluster them?

Ben
--
Ben A. Green, Jr.
greenba@crd.ge.com

kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) (05/22/91)

In article <GREENBA.91May21101044@gambia.crd.ge.com>, greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) writes:
> In article <1991May20.203008.27681@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> kavuri@lips.ecn.purdue.edu (Surya N Kavuri ) writes:
>
>      Is there any reason why clustering is always(atleast what I
>      saw in books) unsupervised ?
>
> Clustering is a way to sort things into groups that share similarities.
> If you already know the classes to which the things belong, what's the
> point of trying to cluster them?
>
> Ben

  An obvious reason is the reduction in dimensionality of the problem.
  Another is the identification of the modes of a class so that the
  density can be approximated at each mode by a density function of
  known functional form (say, Gaussian).

  I have been told that there is such a thing as supervised clustering.
  An inexpensive clustering scheme is always a good preprocessing step.

  SURYA KAVURI
  (FIAT LUX)

reynolds@park.bu.edu (John Reynolds) (05/23/91)

ben> Clustering is a way to sort things into groups that share similarities.
ben> If you already know the classes to which the things belong, what's the
ben> point of trying to cluster them?

In addition to code compression, which is a consequence of both
supervised and unsupervised clustering, some supervised clustering
algorithms can allow generalization.  Some systems can tessellate the
input space into homogeneous regions containing only patterns of a
single class.  If such regions can be identified, then an informed
guess can be made about the class membership of future, unlabeled
patterns, and they can be treated accordingly.

Moreover, it is often inappropriate to group patterns according to
ostensible similarity because the values of important variables may
not be known.  Two objects may appear similar but they may differ in
unknown but important variables.

Some supervised clustering algorithms can locally warp the similarity
metric so that functionally similar patterns are grouped together and
vice versa.  Dimensions which are useful in separating functionally
different classes of objects are enhanced, and irrelevant dimensions
are compressed.

John Reynolds

demers@beowulf.ucsd.edu (David Demers) (05/24/91)

In article <REYNOLDS.91May22151238@park.bu.edu> reynolds@park.bu.edu (John Reynolds) writes:

>ben> Clustering is a way to sort things into groups that share similarities.
>ben> If you already know the classes to which the things belong, what's the
>ben> point of trying to cluster them?

->>In addition to code compression, which is a consequence of both
->>supervised and unsupervised clustering, some supervised clustering
->>algorithms can allow generalization.  Some systems can tessellate the
->>input space into homogeneous regions containing only patterns of a
->>single class.  If such regions can be identified, then an informed
->>guess can be made about the class membership of future, unlabeled
->>patterns, and they can be treated accordingly.

->>Moreover, it is often inappropriate to group patterns according to
->>ostensible similarity because the values of important variables may
->>not be known.  Two objects may appear similar but they may differ in
->>unknown but important variables.

->>Some supervised clustering algorithms can locally warp the similarity
->>metric so that functionally similar patterns are grouped together and
->>vice versa.  Dimensions which are useful in separating functionally
->>different classes of objects are enhanced, and irrelevant dimensions
->>are compressed.

OK, sounds interesting.  I too naively thought clustering was
an unsupervise method.  But in Duda & Hart, Jain, nor Hartigan
I can not locate anything about supervised clustering.  Anyone
have any references?

Dave

--
Dave DeMers					demers@cs.ucsd.edu
Computer Science & Engineering	C-014		demers%cs@ucsd.bitnet

vke@cacs.usl.edu (Venkatesh K. E.) (05/26/91)

In article <19703@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> demers@beowulf.ucsd.edu (David Demers) writes:

>>ben> Clustering is a way to sort things into groups that share similarities.
>>ben> If you already know the classes to which the things belong, what's the
>>ben> point of trying to cluster them?
>
>->>In addition to code compression, which is a consequence of both
>->>supervised and unsupervised clustering, some supervised clustering
>->>algorithms can allow generalization.  Some systems can tessellate the
>->>input space into homogeneous regions containing only patterns of a
>->>single class.  If such regions can be identified, then an informed
>->>guess can be made about the class membership of future, unlabeled
>->>patterns, and they can be treated accordingly.
>
>->>Moreover, it is often inappropriate to group patterns according to
>->>ostensible similarity because the values of important variables may
>->>not be known.  Two objects may appear similar but they may differ in
>->>unknown but important variables.
>
>->>Some supervised clustering algorithms can locally warp the similarity
>->>metric so that functionally similar patterns are grouped together and
>->>vice versa.  Dimensions which are useful in separating functionally
>->>different classes of objects are enhanced, and irrelevant dimensions
>->>are compressed.
>
>OK, sounds interesting.  I too naively thought clustering was
>an unsupervise method.  But in Duda & Hart, Jain, nor Hartigan
>I can not locate anything about supervised clustering.  Anyone
>have any references?

There are not many papers that talk about clustering of patterns in
supervised mode (as far as my knowledge goes). But i am sure that there
are some published papers in Information Retrieval. The concepts used in IR
are ver similar to those in pattern Recognition

The work is 'User Oriented Clusterning' of documents and uses learning from
examples. For each cluster (or in this case category) some positive and
negative examples (or in this case documents that match the concept and those
that do not) are provided. within the positive samples, there could be samples
that are more close to the concept than few others. so we can rank the documents
in  a linear scale say 1-5 or 1-7, where 1 stands for most relevant and 5/7
stands for least relevant.

In normal clustering of documents (Salton's work), the document vectors (pattern
vectors) are grouped together based on some standard similarity, for example
cosine similarity. This may not be very useful in User Oriented systems where
user preferences are more important than the similarity between documents.
for example two documnets (journal articles) are deemed relevant to the concept
Computer_Science. it is not necessary the the cosine similarity between these
two documents should be high.

the above mentioned work is a part of PhD dissertation of Gwang S. Jung, titled
"Connectionist Domain Knowledge Acquisition and its Evaluation in Information
Retrieval", The Center for Advanced Computer Studies, University of Sothwestern
Louisiana, May 1991.

Other references could be found in Annual ACM SIGIR Conf. proceedings or IPM.

Other ref. in learning from examples are
1. there are about 5 chapters in the book "Machine Learning: an AI Approach",
   Vol2, - Michalski, Carbonell, Mitchel; Morgan Kaufmann. 1986.
2. vol 1 may also be useful, i havent gone through vol3

   the 3 volumes are considered to be "The Bible"

3. Machine Learning, Paradigms and Methods; Artificial Intelligence Vol 40. also
   published as a book by MIT Press - edited by J. Carbonell

4. There is a new book out by MIT Press. its title is something like "Pattern
   Recognition and Neural Networks" - Carpenter and Grossberg.
   I am not suer about the title. this book may contain some info. on surevised
   pattern clustering and recognition using ART (Adaptive Resonance Theory)

Any comments about the above observation will be useful. Also, if there are
any papers on supervised clustering other than from learing from examples, I
would be eager to take a note of it.

----Venkatesh K. E.

Venkatesh K. Elayavalli                  phone : (318) 231 5809 (Off)
P. O. Box 42544                          email : vke@cacs.usl.edu
Lafayette, LA 70504.