[comp.ai.neural-nets] Core Wars

reaper@leland.Stanford.EDU (Dan Michaeloff) (05/29/91)

   I am using a GA to evolve a Core Wars fighter program, using tournaments
against past contest winners to measure goodness.  However, one of the '88
finalists, "Mule DNA" by Douglas McDaniels of the US, looks like it may have
been created by a GA, as it contains many seemingly arbitrary constants.
However, it seems to consist of repeated segments.

   Does anyone know more on this?  Has anyone applied GAs to Core Wars?
Is this the right newsgroup for this?

   Thanks,
      --Dan Michaeloff  (djm@neon.stanford.edu)

kingsley@hpwrce.HP.COM (Kingsley Morse) (05/29/91)

>using a GA to evolve a Core Wars program

Sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more.

skipper@diku.dk (Jakob Skipper) (05/30/91)

reaper@leland.Stanford.EDU (Dan Michaeloff) writes:

>   I am using a GA to evolve a Core Wars fighter program, using tournaments
>against past contest winners to measure goodness.  However, one of the '88
>finalists, "Mule DNA" by Douglas McDaniels of the US, looks like it may have
>been created by a GA, as it contains many seemingly arbitrary constants.
>However, it seems to consist of repeated segments.

>   Does anyone know more on this?  Has anyone applied GAs to Core Wars?

A friend of mine once did it, with very little success. There are, however,
several people doing other experiments that comes close: using evolution
to write programs. Among others these people include myself and Thomas Ray
from School of Life & Health Sciences, Delaware (ray@brahms.udel.edu).
He will have an article about his system in the proceedings of the second
conference of artificial life, Santa Fe, 1990 ( the book "Artificial
Life II" is coming Real Soon Now and is beeing published by Addison-Wesley ).
I will also have a paper ready within not-so-long time.

>Is this the right newsgroup for this?

I don't know. There is no newsgroup for discussions of artificial life.
The subject pops up now and then in this group and in comp.ai. But there is
an artificial life mailing list. Just send E-mail to:

      alife-request@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Jakob Skipper

skipper@diku.dk (Jakob Skipper) (05/31/91)

skipper@diku.dk (Jakob Skipper) writes:

>reaper@leland.Stanford.EDU (Dan Michaeloff) writes:

>>   I am using a GA to evolve a Core Wars fighter program, using tournaments
>>against past contest winners to measure goodness.  However, one of the '88
>>finalists, "Mule DNA" by Douglas McDaniels of the US, looks like it may have
>>been created by a GA, as it contains many seemingly arbitrary constants.
>>However, it seems to consist of repeated segments.

>>   Does anyone know more on this?  Has anyone applied GAs to Core Wars?

>A friend of mine once did it, with very little success. There are, however,
  .. stuff deleted ..

OOPS, when i wrote that answer, I completely forgot the reference that
is perhaps closest to what you are looking for. Four people from DTH (The
technical University of Denmark) Steen Rasmussen, Carsten Knudsen,
Rasmus Feldberg and Morten Feldberg has written the report:

  The Coreworld: Emergence and evolution of cooperative structures in a
  computational chemistry

You find it in Physica D 42, 1990, pp. 111-134. It is a description of
a system called VENUS that tries to make programs by evolution. The system
uses the Redcode language from the Core War game.

Kind regards and good luck,

Jakob Skipper
Institute of Datalogy, University of Copenhagen