[comp.ai.neural-nets] help with masking fields please...

pagem@cardiff.ac.uk (Mike Page) (06/04/91)

Has anybody out there done work on masking fields as described in
Cohen and Grossberg (1987).

I have duplicated the results given in that article, but am finding
it difficult to extend these results to larger networks, more
specifically networks with larger numbers of masking field populations
including some populations which respond to item field sets with mod J
greater than three.

Parameters for such a network are proving elusive so I'd love to hear from
anyone who has already done similar work.

Thanks,
Mike Page, pagem@uk.ac.cardiff.

marshall@marshall.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Marshall) (06/05/91)

Mike Page (pagem@cardiff.ac.uk) writes:
> Has anybody out there done work on masking fields as described in
> Cohen and Grossberg (1987).
>
> I have duplicated the results given in that article, but am finding
> it difficult to extend these results to larger networks, more
> specifically networks with larger numbers of masking field populations
> including some populations which respond to item field sets with mod J
> greater than three.
>
> Parameters for such a network are proving elusive so I'd love to hear from
> anyone who has already done similar work.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Page, pagem@uk.ac.cardiff.

Dear Mike,

I've extended Cohen & Grossberg's work on masking fields to allow the
networks to self-organize.  Some of the advantages of my approach are:

   o multiple superimposed input patterns can be recognized
     simultaneously;
   o uncertainty can be represented by partial activation of
     classifier neurons;
   o the networks can be vastly smaller, because not all possible
     combinations of input patterns need be anticipated;
   o larger populations can be handled;
   o analog as well as binary patterns can be handled;
   o the network can allocate more resources where needed;

I use two new learning rules: a Weber-Law adaptive scaling rule, and
an inhibitory learning rule.  The methods are written up in my paper:

J.A. Marshall, "A Self-Organizing Scale-Sensitive Neural Network,"
Proc. IJCNN, San Diego, June 1990, Vol.III., pp.649-654.

Other relevant references are:

J.A. Marshall, "Adaptive Neural Methods for Multiplexing Oriented
Edges."  Intelligent Robots and Computer Vision IX: Neural,
Biological, and 3-D Methods, David P. Casasent, Ed.  Proceedings of
the SPIE 1382, pp.282-291, November 1990.

J.A. Marshall, "A Self-Organizing Neural Network for Computing Stereo
Disparity and Transparency."  Technical Digest, Optical Society of
America Annual Meeting, p.268, November 1990.

J.A. Marshall, "Representation of Uncertainty in Self-Organizing
Neural Networks."  Proceedings of the International Neural Network
Conference, Paris, France, pp.809-812, July 1990.

J.A. Marshall, "Development of Length-Selectivity in Hypercomplex-Type
Cells."  Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 31/4, p.397,
March 1990.

J.A. Marshall, "Self-Organizing Neural Networks for Perception of
Visual Motion."  Neural Networks, 3, pp.45-74, February 1990.

P. Foldiak, (1989).  "Adaptive Network for Optimal Linear Feature
Extraction."  Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on
Neural Networks, Washington, DC, June 1989, I., 401-405.

P. Foldiak, (1990).  "Forming Sparse Representations by Local
Anti-Hebbian Learning."  Biological Cybernetics, In press.

A.L. Nigrin, (1990a).  "SONNET: A Self-Organizing Neural Network that
Classifies Multiple Patterns Simultaneously."  Proceedings of the
International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, San Diego, June
1990, II., 313-318.

A.L. Nigrin, (1990b).  The Stable Learning of Temporal Patterns with
an Adaptive Resonance Circuit.  Ph.D. Dissertation, Duke University.

Please let me know if you hear of any other references or research in
this area.  Thanks!
--Jonathan

=   Jonathan A. Marshall			  marshall@cs.unc.edu   =
=   Department of Computer Science					=
=   CB 3175, Sitterson Hall						=
=   University of North Carolina		  Office 919-962-1887	=
=   Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175, U.S.A.		     Fax 919-962-1799	=