[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neural Networks and Compression

cyusta@tasu81.UUCP ( Yuval Shahar ) (06/12/91)

 I am looking for references / information as to what has been done in the
 field of data/image compression, using feed forward networks and / or
 autoassociators. Relevant data should include storage requirements (i.e
 number of weights etc) compression ratios and reliability. If there is
 enough interest I will be glad to post a summary of the responses.

 Thanks,
  Yuval
	Yuval Shachar		cyusta@taux01.nsc.com   cyusta@nsc.nsc.com
				shachar@taurus.bitnet   shachar@math.tau.ac.il
    National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
    Tel. +972 52 522310  TWX: 33691, fax: +972-52-558322

pluto@zaius.ucsd.edu (Mark Plutowski) (06/14/91)

cyusta@tasu81.UUCP ( Yuval Shahar ) writes:

> I am looking for references / information as to what has been done in the
> field of data/image compression, using feed forward networks and / or
> autoassociators. Relevant data should include storage requirements (i.e
> number of weights etc) compression ratios and reliability. If there is
> enough interest I will be glad to post a summary of the responses.

> Thanks,
>  Yuval

See the following:

 Cottrell, Garrison W., and Paul Munro, David Zipser. 1989.
  ``Image compression by back propagation: an example
  of extensional programming.''
  Chapter 9, pp. 208-240, in {\bf Models of cognition: a review of
  cognitive science.}  Noel E. Sharkey, ed.
  vol.1. Ablex Publishing Corporation. Norwood New Jersey.

-=-=
M.E. Plutowski,  pluto%cs@ucsd.edu

UCSD,  Computer Science and Engineering 0114
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0114