[comp.unix.ultrix] f problem

dubois@rhesus.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (10/04/87)

We're running Ultrix 1.2 on a VAX 8200.  Occasionally, 'f' dumps core
without producing any output.  If the command is repeated long enough,
it eventually stops dumping, and succeeds.  Is there something that
it's trying to access that's inaccessible momentarily?  Or what?

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!rhesus!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu              --+--

"Suffering is the finger exercising of the spirit." - Mr. Theo      |

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (10/05/87)

Yes.  This was a bug which I introduced (sorry) when fixing another
bug.  It seems to happen when the list of users is very long *and* of
a certain number of characters (you begin to get the picture, eh?).  This
is fixed in 2.0.  Paul, drop me a note if you need it fixed before
upgrading.

Fred

pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) (10/07/87)

Try upgrading your system to Ultrix 2.0-1, we are there with
no problems with f (aka finger)

In article <8253@felix.UUCP> dubois@rhesus.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
>We're running Ultrix 1.2 on a VAX 8200.  Occasionally, 'f' dumps core
>without producing any output.  If the command is repeated long enough,
>it eventually stops dumping, and succeeds.  Is there something that
>it's trying to access that's inaccessible momentarily?  Or what?
>"Suffering is the finger exercising of the spirit." - Mr. Theo      |

Another reader of L'Engle's "other" books?

'f', or 'finger', had a bug in our distributions of 4.2BSD and Ultrix
1.0 and 1.1.  It always core-dumped when invoked without flags, but
when invoked with flags (e.g., -l, the default), it worked fine.  I
just alias'ed 'f' to 'finger -l'.

	Joe Yao		jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)
	hadron!jsdy@{uunet.UU.NET,dtix.ARPA,decuac.DEC.COM}
	att,blkcat,cos,decuac,dtix,ecogong,phw5,\
	inco,insight,itc3b2,kcwc,netex,netxcom,  >!hadron!jsdy
	empire,rlgvax,seismo,smsdpg,sundc,uunet /