[net.micro] Two hard disks on the PC... Help!!

reza0@ihlpl.UUCP (Zarafshar) (06/30/85)

	Does anyone know if there is a Hard Disk
	controller out there for PC's (IBM and the like)
	that will handle two or more HD's?

I would appreciate any help on this matter.  Thanks.

Reza Zarafshar
(312)979-5104
ihnp4!ihlpl!reza0

mason@noscvax.UUCP (Nicholas B. Mason) (07/03/85)

In article <188@ihlpl.UUCP> reza0@ihlpl.UUCP (Zarafshar) writes:

>	Does anyone know if there is a Hard Disk
>	controller out there for PC's (IBM and the like)
>	that will handle two or more HD's?

    There is a company in San Diego called Emerald systems that makes
    Hard disks and tape backup systems for IBM PCs, XTs, and ATs and
    compatibles.  Their hard disk controller will handle 2 harddisks.

    Contact  Terry Weaverling
    (619) 270-1994
     TElex: 323458 EMERSYS

     I have no affliation with Emerald Systems except I have ordered
     their 120MB HD w/ 60 MB tape backup system.  I don't have it yet
     so I make no claims about their products other than what is
     advertised.  However, I have seen their products work and have
     talked to their engineers and I am impressed.

	  Nick Mason
	  NOSC    San Diego , CA

	ihnp4  \
        akgua   \
        decvax   ------------------!sdcsvax!noscvax!mason
        dcdwest /
        ucbvax /

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (07/03/85)

> 	Does anyone know if there is a Hard Disk
> 	controller out there for PC's (IBM and the like)
> 	that will handle two or more HD's?
>
> I would appreciate any help on this matter.  Thanks.
>
> Reza Zarafshar
> (312)979-5104
> ihnp4!ihlpl!reza0

The Western Digital controller (WD1002-WX2) has pins to support two
fixed drives.  Right now, I'm only supporting 1 20mb Seagate in a 256kb
PC chassis and it seems to work alright except for one possible problem...

Occasionally when booting (cold), nothing happens...at all.  After cycling the
power switch it seems to come up alright(sometimes this has to be done twice).
I don't think it's a memory error because there's no screen output.  I can't be
sure that it is the controller because I installed a new power supply and added
a half meg of memory roughly at the same time that I installed the drive.  I've
had no problems when the machine is running but one user claims it hung once
sitting a DOS prompt but we can't repeat this failure.

I'd appreciate knowing if anybody has a possible explanation. The other cards
in the chassis were the IBM color graphics card, IBM floppy controller,
the Microsoft mouse interface card and a Tecmar multifunction card.
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
{cbosgd, decvax, harpo, ihnp4}!utcs!mnetor!george

szepesi@fluke.UUCP (Les Szepesi) (07/09/85)

> > 	Does anyone know if there is a Hard Disk
> > 	controller out there for PC's (IBM and the like)
> > 	that will handle two or more HD's?

My Microscience 10M drive came with a Matsuba controller card that supposedly
supports two hard drives.

> had no problems when the machine is running but one user claims it hung once
> sitting a DOS prompt but we can't repeat this failure.

I get this problem fairly regularly. I run mostly Microsoft Word V1.1, and after
about two hours or so, I get a DOS prompt and hung so that only a power on reset
restores things to normal. I think it is in some way related to the HD or HD
controller, since I've never had it previous to installing the drive. I've come
to the conclusion that it is somewhat related to temperature, since I was
running the system unit without cover at first till I was sure the HD worked.
I was getting failures then about ~half hour. My theory is that the convection
cooling is removed when the cover is not present to direct the air flow.

Whether the problem is with the drive/controller itself or something marginal
that shows up with the additional loading is pretty hard to determine.

(I have a 256k AST combo, Cermetek internal modem, 8087, Hercules Color Card,
plus the floppy and hard drive controllers. There is an XT supply in the unit
and two half-height floppies.)

By the way, I've already been through two Hercules Cards, both of which have
died in text mode, with characters being fragmented, but graphics operation ok.
Am I just unlucky or is this common. (They have been very good about replacing
them under the two warranty. I'm concerned about when the two years are up...)

--
Les Szepesi		decvax\
John Fluke Mfg Co.	ihnp4  >!uw-beaver\

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (07/10/85)

> 	Does anyone know if there is a Hard Disk
> 	controller out there for PC's (IBM and the like)
> 	that will handle two or more HD's?

DTC of Santa Clara California has a nice little controller that will
control two drives. I have seen them at swap meets and computer shows
for anywhere from $200 to $275. It also is configurable for different
drive types via jumpers rather than replacing the PROM which is an
advantage.

--Chuck

--
"Unix, the Teco of Operating Systems."      - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

vch@rruxo.UUCP (V. Hatem) (07/14/85)

I have a PC/XT - with two hard disk drives. I'm using the expansion box,
which was bought as an add-on. The controller that came with the machine
had ports for BOTH. So, what's the problem?? just plug it in.

Vince

culkar@tellab1.UUCP (Joseph Culkar) (07/28/85)

the xebec 1210A and 1220A (available at a reasonable price from
Hamilton-Avnet) both can handle two hard disks.