[comp.unix.ultrix] Mail problem

chinson@medivax.UUCP (Chinson Yi) (10/08/87)

Since we installed the version 2.0, the sendmail does not
create new mail file ("/usr/spool/mail/XXX") for the new users.
Any idea ?

Chinson Yi
UCLA, Dept. of Medicine (medivax)
       __
      ====
      |  |__
      |  |-.\
      |__|  \\
       ||   ||
     ======__|
    ________||__
   /____________\ (c)

jeff@umbc3.umd.edu (Jeffrey Burgan) (10/14/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <8553@felix.UUCP> chinson@medivax.UUCP (Chinson Yi) writes:
>Since we installed the version 2.0, the sendmail does not
>create new mail file ("/usr/spool/mail/XXX") for the new users.
>Any idea ?

The mail directory /usr/spool/mail must have mode 1777.
(i.e. r,w,x for everyone plus the sticky bit needs to be set. This is
discussed in the release notes.

Hope this helps,

Jeffrey Burgan
jeff@umbc3.umd.edu
University of Maryland

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (10/16/87)

Reply-Path:

> The mail directory /usr/spool/mail must have mode 1777.
> (i.e. r,w,x for everyone plus the sticky bit needs to be set. This is
> discussed in the release notes.

What in the world does a sticky bit on a DIRECTORY do?  While I'm at it,
what would the suid and sgid bits on a directory mean?

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

[Setting the sticky bit on a directory in either 4.3 BSD or Ultrix
means that only the owner of a file may rename it or remove
it. -- Art Z.]