[comp.unix.ultrix] hayes modem strangeness

don@seila.UUCP (Don Kossman) (10/08/87)

anyone else run into this?  we're running ultrix 2.0 on a microvax-2.

we have several hayes smartmodems; one older one (8-position dipswitch
and a volume control) and two newer ones (10-position dipswitch, no
external volume control but two rj-11 phone jacks).

the older one works fine, using the dip switch settings shown
in etc/acucap.  port is set up (etc/ttys) as "shared modem".

with the newer ones, same port, same cable, same setup,
whatever we do, we see the front panel TR (ie. dtr) lamp
cycling as follows- 30 seconds on, 90 seconds off.

any suggestions?  has hayes changed the way the signals are
wired to the db25 connector?

--
Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
usenet: {ccicpg!imt3b2 | peregrine!imt3b2 | sun!tsunama!tsunami}!seila!don

davids@iscuva.iscs.com (David Schmidt) (10/23/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <8540@felix.UUCP> don@seila.UUCP (Don Kossman) writes:

>we have several hayes smartmodems...
>
>with the newer ones, same port, same cable, same setup,
>whatever we do, we see the front panel TR (ie. dtr) lamp
>cycling as follows- 30 seconds on, 90 seconds off.

We are getting the same DTR dropping behavior here, only we didn't switch
modems.  When I upgraded to Ultrix 2.0 *ONE* of my two Hayes 2400's started
cycling DTR.  The other Hayes 2400 (and both of the Hayes 1200's) still work
fine.

I am getting a message periodically in the /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog file:

Oct 19 04:37:22 localhost: getty: /dev/ttyd2: Address already in use
Oct 19 04:52:24 localhost: getty: /dev/ttyd2: Address already in use
Oct 19 05:20:16 localhost: getty: /dev/ttyd2: Address already in use
    [many, many similar lines omitted -- AZ]
Oct 19 14:29:52 localhost: getty: /dev/ttyd2: Address already in use
Oct 19 14:48:09 localhost: getty: /dev/ttyd2: Address already in use

There are no duplicate (major/minor) devices in the /dev directory.

Atlanta Customer Support is currently working on it but nothing yet.
--
David Schmidt              UUCP:  davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM
ISC Systems Corporation           (uunet!iscuva!davids)