[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems with dd and large blocks on 2.0 VS II/GPX w/TK50??

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (10/20/87)

Reply-Path:

I've been trying to read some TK50 dump tapes I wrote under Ultrix
1.2 with the 4.3 dump using a blocksize of 126.  Under Ultrix 2.0,
it seems that dd has trouble with large block sizes, at least on
my sort of weird system.  It won't read in the dump tape I have
using an input block size of 126k.  After experimenting a while,
it seems that dd may have some problems.  For example:

    % ls -l a
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           1024000 Oct 17 00:41 a
    % mt -f /dev/rmt0h rewind
    % dd obs=100k of=/dev/rmt0h <a
    write: Error 0
    200+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    Exit 255             ./dd obs=100k of=/dev/rmt0h < a
    %

(Lovely error message isn't it?  Doesn't even tell you it's from dd.)
Does this happen to anyone else?  Or have I broken my system?
This is on a VAXstation II/GPX with a TK50.

John Sellens -- Logic Programming and Artificial Intelligence Group

{decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdragon!jmsellens
jmsellens@dragon.waterloo.{edu,CDN} jsellens@watmta.BITNET
jmsellens%dragon@waterloo.csnet

barnett@steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett) (10/23/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <9966@felix.UUCP> jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:
|I've been trying to read some TK50 dump tapes I wrote under Ultrix
|1.2 with the 4.3 dump using a blocksize of 126.  Under Ultrix 2.0,
|it seems that dd has trouble with large block sizes
|
|John Sellens -- Logic Programming and Artificial Intelligence Group

I had a similar problem with Ultrix 2.0
I was reading in a tape using dd and the following command

	dd ibs=2048 conv=unblock if=/dev/rmt0 of=file.out

The files were corrupted. Actually, every character after 2048 was
zero. I read the new man page on dd and tried:

	dd ibs=2048 conv=unblock rbuf=0  if=/dev/rmt0l of=file.out
	                         ------              -

The new version of dd uses a read buffer default value of 8.
Changing it to 0 seemed to fix the problem.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

davids@iscuva.iscs.com (David Schmidt) (10/23/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <9966@felix.UUCP> jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:
>I've been trying to read some TK50 dump tapes I wrote under Ultrix
>1.2 with the 4.3 dump using a blocksize of 126.  Under Ultrix 2.0,
>it seems that dd has trouble with large block sizes, at least on
>my sort of weird system.  It won't read in the dump tape I have
>using an input block size of 126k.  After experimenting a while,
>it seems that dd may have some problems.  For example:
>
>[...]
>
>John Sellens -- Logic Programming and Artificial Intelligence Group

I had the same problem.  When re-reading the Ultrix 2.0 release notes I
found:

Paragraph 2.2.5.2, page 2-25, binder 3A (System Manager, release notes)
  THE DD COMMAND RESTRICTIONS
Do not specify a blocksize greater than (64K minus 1) bytes when using the
dd command or TMSCP devices may hang.

If you want to read the tape you will have to read it under Ultrix 1.2 and
then re-write it with a blocksize <= 127.  (We had some machines running
both versions so we were able to convert our few tapes with the large block
size)
--
David Schmidt              UUCP:  davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM
ISC Systems Corporation           (uunet!iscuva!davids)