[comp.unix.ultrix] VaxStation II Serial Port

russell@ucdavis.UUCP (Michael Russell) (10/26/87)

Reply-Path:

We recently upgraded from 1.2 to 2.0-1 on our VaxStation II.  Even though
there is a bitmap on the system, the user prefers to login using the
serial port.  Under 1.2, the device was called /dev/ttycp, and because it
was not in /dev/MAKEDEV, I had to call DEC to get the major and minor
device numbers, which I was able to do because the unit was still in its
warranty period.  The upgrade has caused the device to disappear, and I
need to get the major and minor device numbers again.  I have looked
everywhere I can think of to find them, but to no avail.  Is there anyone
out there who can help me?  Thanks in advance.
			Michael Russell
			Division of Computer Science, U. C. Davis
			INTERNET:	russell@bluebell.ucdavis.edu
			BITNET:		RUSSELL@UCDAVIS
			UUCP:		...!ucbvax!ucdavis!russell

hurf@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP (Hurf Sheldon) (11/03/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <10365@felix.UUCP> russell@ucdavis.UUCP (Michael Russell) writes:
>We recently upgraded from 1.2 to 2.0-1 on our VaxStation II.  Even though
>there is a bitmap on the system, the user prefers to login using the
>serial port.  Under 1.2, the device was called /dev/ttycp, and because it
>was not in /dev/MAKEDEV, I had to call DEC to get the major and minor
>device numbers...

	DEC went to a new nomenclature for everything in /dev - I hope there
 was a good reason because it is a pain as far as the /dev/ttys are concerned.
 (I understand & agree with the magtape renaming)

	The major/minor is 38, 0 - it is documented in /sys/vax/conf.c - not
	necessarily the most obvious place. It may also be in release notes
	or the installation guide but I don't recall seeing it.
hurf
--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION