[comp.unix.ultrix] UREP and ULTRIX V2

awp8101@ritcv.UUCP (Andrew W. Potter) (10/21/87)

Reply-Path:

Has anyone had success implementing UREP under ultrix V2?  What
does it take to convert the UREP BSC driver to make into the ultrix
kernel?  Or will the DEC BSC driver (supplied with Ultrix V2 for
2780 /3780 emulation) be coerced into doing the job?

Andrew W. Potter
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY.

zemon@felix.UUCP (10/28/87)

Reply-Path:

You probably can't use the DEC BSC driver.  One thing to look out for
in all Ultrix 2.0 drivers is the changes made to the way br and cvec
get passed to/from the probe routine.  They are now global variables
instead of r11 and r15 magically hacked in by some assembler glue.  The
fix is simple, remove the "register int br,cvec" declaration in your
probe routines.
/a
PS: If you get the BSC driver working (I assume you mean for a DMF?)
please let me know.  It is on our list.

abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) (11/05/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <9988@felix.UUCP> awp8101@ritcv.UUCP (Andrew W. Potter) writes:

>Has anyone had success implementing UREP under ultrix V2?  What
>does it take to convert the UREP BSC driver to make into the ultrix
>kernel?  Or will the DEC BSC driver (supplied with Ultrix V2 for
>2780 /3780 emulation) be coerced into doing the job?

	In order to get UREP running at our site, when we built the system
we had to manually modify the makefile in /sys/SYS_NAME to eliminate all
references to the dup placed there by config, and put in our own code to build
UREP's dup driver.  Then, in urep's dup.c, the line "register int br cvec"
had to be commented out. This is because DEC has made these variables global.

Good luck.

--
ARPA:		abrams@bnl.APRA
BITNET:		abrams@bnl.BITNET