[comp.unix.ultrix] Korn Shell + Ultrix 2.0?

pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) (10/21/87)

Reply-Path:

Has anyone out there with Ultrix 2.0-1 implemented a ksh on your
system?

--
            \\\!///		From:   Pete Schmitt
             _   _ 		UUCP:   allegra!decwrl!tsc.dec.com!pete

grubin@tramp.UUCP (Rick Grubin) (10/23/87)

Reply-Path:

I am a System V hack, but since we have an 11/785 running Ultrix 2.0, I
put ksh up on the machine.  The makefile itself is written to determine
that the OS is Berkeley-based, so you shouldn't have any trouble.  At
least I didn't.

Good luck.

Rick Grubin   ...{backbones}!hao!boulder!{spot,tramp}!grubin
Univ. of Colorado Academic Computing Services

don@seila.UUCP (10/26/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <9987@felix.UUCP> pete@tsc.DEC.COM writes:
>Has anyone out there with Ultrix 2.0-1 implemented a ksh on your
>system?

We managed to get ksh to compile on our ultrix-2.0 microvax, but
could not get it to run.  We DO know that it runs on an ultrix-1.2
vax, having seen this with our own eyes... if you find out
what the problem with 2.0 is, please post something...

--
Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
usenet: {ccicpg!imt3b2 | peregrine!imt3b2 | sun!tsunama!tsunami}!seila!don

zemon@felix.UUCP (10/29/87)

Reply-Path:

in article <10366@felix.UUCP>, don@seila.UUCP says:
> We managed to get ksh to compile on our ultrix-2.0 microvax, but
> could not get it to run.

We also could not get ksh to run on our Ultrix 2.0.  I attended a local UNIX
user group meeting where a DEC salesman gave an Ultrix talk. He mentioned
that VAX BSD 4.? executables would run under Ultrix. I tried it and sure
enough, it works like a charm.

--
  Gary A. Davis
  Racal-Milgo, P.O. Box 407044, Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33340, (305) 476-4393

  {allegra,codas}!novavax!utx1!davis

zemon@felix.UUCP (10/31/87)

This is a long shot, but maybe Ultrix 2.0 did away with the old
DUPFLG stuff in dup(2).  This was done in 4.3+NFS and it broke some
ksh i/o stuff like input redirection and `x`.

If this sounds familiar, try grepping the ksh source for DUPFLG and
replace occurrences of

	dup(x|DUPFLG,y)

with

	dup2(x,y)

 But then again, if a 4.2 ksh binary worked, this probably isn't
 what's wrong.

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (11/05/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <11062@felix.UUCP> davis@utx1.UUCP (Gary A. Davis) writes:
> ... I attended a local UNIX
>user group meeting where a DEC salesman gave an Ultrix talk. He mentioned
>that VAX BSD 4.? executables would run under Ultrix.

Not strictly true.  Anything that reads directories (as in directory(3))
won't work with NFS directories.  Things that do file system related
stuff. Things that read passwd files.  And probably a bunch of other
stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head.  A lot of this
can probably be fixed by re-linking on the 2.0 machine.

John