[comp.unix.ultrix] excessive swap space requirements

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (10/08/87)

Ultrix still has the old and now thoroughly outdated
algorithm of allocating swap space to a process when the
process is spawned instead of when the process actually
needs to swap.  For some environments this is absolutely
absurd -- and expensive.  For instance, we have an 8700 with
32 Mb of physical memory, 64 Mb of swap space that we never
use because we never swap and almost never page, and we need
MORE swap space because processes are dieing for lack of
core (brk(2) fails)!!

Does anyone know if anyone inside DEC, or even a third party
vendor, is working on an updated memory/swap space
management scheme to eliminate this problem?  I really don't
want to buy more storage which will never be used.

This algorithm made sense when people used PDP-11s with 256K
of memory and many megabytes of disk and they always swapped
at least some.  Now it is cheaper to buy enough memory that
I never swap but I still have to buy the darned disks!

Ahhhhh..., that feels better.  Maybe I can still an old
IBM-PC 30 Mb disk on the 8700 and call it swap space. :-)

	-- Art Zemon
	   By Computer:	    ...!hplabs!felix!zemon
	   By Air:	    Archer N33565
	   By Golly:	    moderator of comp.unix.ultrix

jdn@mas1.UUCP (Jeff Nisewanger) (10/16/87)

Reply-Path:

	The folks at Berkeley are rewriting the virtual memory
code for BSD 4.4 for this and other reasons, so maybe it will be
done in 2-3 years. I wouldn't look soon for a third-party fix. The
memory management code in Ultrix (4.3 BSD) is not very modular and
would be hard for an outsider to replace.

	Jeff Nisewanger
	Measurex Automation Systems
	pyramid!voder!mas1!jdn

mouse@uunet.UU.NET (der Mouse) (11/18/87)

Reply-Path:

In article <8550@felix.UUCP>, zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) writes:
> [about Ultrix using the usual UNIX swap space allocater]
> For instance, we have an 8700 with 32 Mb of physical memory, 64 Mb of
> swap space that we never use because we never swap and almost never
> page, and we need MORE swap space because processes are dieing for
> lack of core (brk(2) fails)!!

How sure are you that brk() is failing for lack of swap space?  There
are three or four other reasons why it could lose.  I suspect the
likeliest is that you are running into the process size limit.  To
check this, try eating up swap space by running other things and see if
you run out of memory at the same point.

If you are hitting the size limit, try "ulimit datasize".  If that
doesn't help, you may have to rebuild your kernel with a larger limit.
I could help you do this on 4.3, but Ultrix?  Dunno, sorry.

					der Mouse

				(mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp)

zemon (Art Zemon) (12/08/87)

In article <13289@felix.UUCP> mouse@uunet.UU.NET (der Mouse) writes:

>How sure are you that brk() is failing for lack of swap space?

I know it is brk(2) because of the messages coming from the
failing programs.  Furthermore, "pstat -s", when it can get
enough core to run, reveals that we are critically low on
swap space.