[net.micro] Byte Indexes

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (07/23/85)

Once again I am hearing rumors of a mythical Byte Index that is or will
be available. I don't think it will be machine readable and probably
available as a separate document rather than in an issue of Byte. So
I have once again begun to think of a "home grown" data base of Byte
articles for personal computers.

The simplest method might be to produce a form not unlike the message headers
that could be filled in for each article along the lines of
Title:
Magazine:
Issue:
Pages:
Processor Type(s):
Category: (could be Software, Hardware, Algorithms, etc)
SubCategory: (eg Data Base, Compiler, Tools, OS)
Abstract: (paragraph on article)

Any other suggestions? Organizing might be a bit difficult but it would be
fairly simple to write a translator from the form to your favorite data
base. The reason for the Magazine entry is obviously if this is successful
it might be possible on other magazines as well.

--Chuck

--
"Unix, the Teco of Operating Systems."      - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

mjs@eagle.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) (07/24/85)

> Once again I am hearing rumors of a mythical Byte Index that is or will
> be available. I don't think it will be machine readable and probably
> available as a separate document rather than in an issue of Byte. So
> I have once again begun to think of a "home grown" data base of Byte
> articles for personal computers.
>
> The simplest method might be to produce a form not unlike the message headers
> that could be filled in for each article along the lines of
> Title:
> Magazine:
> Issue:
> Pages:
> Processor Type(s):
> Category: (could be Software, Hardware, Algorithms, etc)
> SubCategory: (eg Data Base, Compiler, Tools, OS)
> Abstract: (paragraph on article)
>
> Any other suggestions? Organizing might be a bit difficult but it would be
> fairly simple to write a translator from the form to your favorite data
> base. The reason for the Magazine entry is obviously if this is successful
> it might be possible on other magazines as well.
>
> --Chuck

Why not use the `bib' or `refer' format for this data?  Most folks reading this
group are on UNIX Systems, or have snarfed the `bib' command posted.  This
might result in the proliferation of tools to manipulate such bibliographic
databases, and thus make the format even more useful.
--
	Marty Shannon
UUCP:	ihnp4!eagle!mjs

scott@gargoyle.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) (07/26/85)

Is there any particular reason *not* to use refer/bib format?
--

	Scott Deerwester
	Graduate Library School

...!ihnp4!gargoyle!scott	UUCP
scott@UChicago.CSNet		CSNet
scott@UChicago.ARPA		ARPA

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (07/29/85)

> ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!scott (Scott Deerwester) writes :
> Is there any particular reason *not* to use refer/bib format?
> --

Two reasons, first not everyone has a refer command (know of one for Xenix?)
so these people would derive know benefit from having it in bib format,
second I wouldn't expect that a lot of people would keep such a database on
their **ix systems anyway. Since a lot of interest is from the micro using
community the data base must originally aim for the lowest common
denominator (ie those that only have BASIC available for writing code). I
am sure you or someone else could write a simple shell script to convert
the text-only database to bib/refer format for people that needed it.

--Chuck