[comp.unix.ultrix] LAT printers on ULTRIX

chuck@felix.UUCP (11/20/87)

Reply-Path:

Is there anyone using this setup under ULTRIX to run a serial printer?

Hardware:   DECserver 100/200
	    MicroVAX (or big VAX)

Software:   LAT
	    Ultrix
	    Regular printer queueing

What really interests me is whether multiple systems can go to the same
printer and be coordinated correctly?  VMS will do it (sorry).  The DEC
technical hotline claims VMS and ULTRIX systems together will even work,
but I don't quite believe them.  Any experiences would be appreciated.

Jim Gessling (RTECH) (borrowing this account)

pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) (11/23/87)

Reply-Path:

Here at DEC, Ultrix and VMS have been both used to share the same LAT
printer, so it will work. VMS4.6 and Ultrix2.0-1

--
            \\\!///		From: Pete Schmitt
             _   _ 		UUCP: {allegra|ihnp4}!decwrl!tsc.dec.com!pete

davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM (David Schmidt) (12/08/87)

In article <13563@felix.UUCP> ceferino@rtech.UUCP (Ceferino Cordero) writes:

>Is there anyone using this setup under ULTRIX to run a serial printer?
>
>Hardware:   DECserver 100/200
>	    MicroVAX (or big VAX)
>
>Software:   LAT
>	    Ultrix
>	    Regular printer queueing
>
>What really interests me is whether multiple systems can go to the same
>printer and be coordinated correctly?  VMS will do it (sorry).  The DEC
>technical hotline claims VMS and ULTRIX systems together will even work,
>but I don't quite believe them.  Any experiences would be appreciated.

Yes, it really works (amazing, eh?).  We have 25 DECserver 100's, 8 MVII's,
and one 11/785.  The 785 and two of the MVII's are running VMS and the
other 6 MVII's are running Ultrix 2.0.  Here is a copy of one of my printcap
entries:

#
# Printers connected to terminal servers
#
lz22a|LN03 Quadrant A, Floor 2:\
	:fc#0177777:fs#06023:lp=/dev/ttyo0:op=PORT_6:ts=ISCTST:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs/lz22a:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lz22a:

NOTE: you have to dedicate one LAT /dev/tty port for each printer (otherwise
listings can get confused).  Also you have to do an lcp -h tty??,tty?? for
each tty (to set it up as an outgoing port).  The instructions are on page
4-12 of the System Management Guide (Binder 3B).

We did have a problem with our printers just this week where the LPD daemon
was refusing to connect to the servers but rebooting the offending MVII
cleared the problem.  DEC Tech Support is aware that there is a problem but
is unable to re-produce it at will.
--
David Schmidt              UUCP:  davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM
ISC Systems Corporation           (uunet!iscuva!davids)

[
I have been told that your /dev/ttyXX lines must be the highest
numbered lines for this to work correctly.  For instance, if you have
/dev/tty00 - /dev/tty31 and you have three printers, then you must
dedicate /dev/tty29 - /dev/tty31 for the printers.

    -- Art Z.
]

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (12/17/87)

>>Is there anyone using this setup under ULTRIX to run a serial printer?
>>Hardware:   DECserver 100/200
>>	    MicroVAX (or big VAX)
>Yes, it really works (amazing, eh?).  We have 25 DECserver 100's, 8 MVII's,

I thought you needed DECserver 200's!  Apparently not.  The manual says they
must run LAT protocol 5.1 or higher, but our 100's run 5.0.  Is 5.1 necessary,
is there some ROM upgrade, etc ....  I would appreciate some enlightenment on
the subject.	Thanks,

Stefan Brandle

Stefan Brandle                                 UUCP:  ihnp4!wheaton!stefan
Wheaton College                                "But I never claimed to be sane!"