[net.micro] Nobody here but us engineers

LMTRA@SRI-KL.ARPA (07/24/85)

From: bill%persci.uucp@BRL.ARPA
.

>Are there any parts that you've seen in IC manufacturers data books or
>spec sheets that are real hot, but not out yet?

<<Yeah. And some not-so-astounding ICs, too! I got badly burned by TI about 3
<<years back. I needed an RS-422 (differential) transceiver for a *cheap*
<<(hardware < $20) local-area network interface I was designing for a little
<<microcomputer company, and found a marvelous 8-pin DIP transceiver from TI
<<that fit the bill perfectly. It was even in a three-year old catalog and *not*
<<labeled "preliminary", with a complete set of specs. The quotes from
<<TI?/the distributor? were low, so I designed it in. (..time passes..) Time
<<to buy some parts. The distributor can't get them (fast enough, they say), so
.
.
<<There's a lesson or two in here, somewhere..
<<--
<<Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

Yes, indeed..No large production orders, no production.  TI is not in the
custom chip business...

Leon Traister (LMTRA@SRI-KL.ARPA)
-------

bill@persci.UUCP (07/29/85)

In article <119@brl-tgr.ARPA> LMTRA@SRI-KL.ARPA writes:
>>Are there any parts that you've seen in IC manufacturers data books or
>>spec sheets that are real hot, but not out yet?
><<Yeah. And some not-so-astounding ICs, too! [...]
><<There's a lesson or two in here, somewhere..
>Yes, indeed..No large production orders, no production.  [name] is not in the
>custom chip business...
>Leon Traister (LMTRA@SRI-KL.ARPA)

Leon, the point I was trying to make was that this particular component was in
their catalogs for three years, never labelled "preliminary", yet they had
never produced more than 10 prototypes. Certainly after a couple years they
could have decided that there was no market and pulled it back, yet until we
actually started pulling strings to get the part, there was *no* indication
from *anybody* there that this was anything other than a part in full
production. Not from the distributor, not from their own marketing people! They
even had full spec sheets (from 10 prototypes??), and quoted availabilities
that were downright lies!

If they had just told us up front that they were not making the component,
fine. I would have been disappointed, but I wouldn't have designed the ****
thing in, costing my company time and money. (Remember, we were a small 20-man
uC company, with small ordering volumes, not a giant like IBM. Our orders
would never have been really large, not enough to start up an IC fab line.)

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill