[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 2.2 and SL/IP anyone?

chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) (01/16/88)

YES - I just got off the phone with support & 2.2 is a FULL install.
Great eh?

Also - is anyone out there running SLIP (serial line IP) on an Ultrix
system?  I'm looking into to putting it in place here and wonder of
any problems that may come up....
-chris peck

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (02/03/88)

In article <19683@felix.UUCP>, beadel@oswego.UUCP (Edward F. Beadel, Jr.) writes:
> In article <18690@felix.UUCP> chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes:
> >Also - is anyone out there running SLIP (serial line IP) on an Ultrix
> >system?  ...

> We are wanting to do this also. We *should* be getting 2.2 (and source code)
> "any day now". Some-one at DECUS said that they had done this but I
> can't find the address in the pile of junk I brought back with me.

Yeah... That was probably me and my big mouth, Ed.  Anyway, here's the
scoop.  *I* will be putting SLIP on *my* system.  I haven't upgraded
it to ULTRIX 2.2 yet because we do not as yet have the sources.  When
I do I will get SLIP up and running on ULTRIX 2.2.

Now, availability....  I guess I will try to make a BINARY KIT
available to those who write to me about it, but I MAKE NO GUARANTEES
AND WILL NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT.  If there is some way that you can prove
to me that you are a source site I will probably send the sources for
SLIP modified for ULTRIX.

Fred (I may regret this)

dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (love comes tumbling) (02/03/88)

the latest slip distributions which is known to work on suns running
either 2.x or 3.x sunos is available via anonymous ftp on
uunet.uu.net.  if might run on binary only ultrix sites, assuming dec
has fixed one particular bug in the 4.2 ip routing code (most vendors
fixed it some time ago.) fred avolio (you there, fred? :-) might be
able to comment on whether slip will run on a binary ultrix system.

dsc

`they said we would be artistically free,
 when we signed that bit of paper.
 they meant `let's make lots of money, and worry about it later.''

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (02/05/88)

In article <20341@felix.UUCP> dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (love comes tumbling) writes:

> fred avolio (you there, fred? :-) might be
> able to comment on whether slip will run on a binary ultrix system.

Yeah, I'm here...  (I just hope the ULTRIX Product Group is reading.
I'd say there is a bit of interest in SLIP, eh?)  When I installed
SLIP here, I needed to diddle with init_main.c which does not come but
in binary form on a binary distribution.  You have an easier way, I'd
love to hear about it (really!).

Also, the SLIP version *I* have running is an OLD version. But it
works.  (if_sl.c revision 1.2 86/02/22)

Fred