>From some obscure group than ends in in my junk group:

  From: kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Kevin D. Bond)
  Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
  Subject: Bind 4.7.3Betatest for Ultrix 2.0 available
  Date: 27 Jan 88 05:47:00 GMT

  I ported the 4.7.3 betatest version of the BIND domain name server to
  Ultrix 2.0.  I had to make a couple of minor changes to the code itself,
  such as writing strcasecmp and strncasecmp (These are poorly done, but they
  work).  I also had to change the definition of inet_addr() to be an unsigned
  long, instead of the structure that the manuals an header files claim it to
  be, it caused core dumps on execution otherwise.  I also had to use another
  version of netdb.h, so the the SUN rpc code was still set up right.

  But anyway, the code is in /pub/bind4.7.3.ultrix.tar.Z on cscosl.ncsu.edu
  (128.109.135.7).

  This may work on a Sun, since the Ultrix 2.0 kernel is mostly Sun routines,
  but I do not have access to a Sun to try the thing out.

  Have Fun, I did...

  -kdb
  --
  Kevin D. Bond
  kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu

mason@aurora.UUCP (Tony Mason) (02/03/88)

Actually, it isn't too difficult to install the 4.3 bind stuff.  I just
finished getting Version 4.7.3 running on our Ultrix 2.0 machine.  If you
want a copy of the binary I'll send it.  If you want to do it yourself and
run into snags you can drop me a note.

There are four places where I've had problems building the bind stuff:

1. /usr/include/netdb.h.  The structure element h_addr_list causes no end of
problems.

2. strcasecmp() and strncasecmp() were used but I couldn't find them in the
4.3 sources we have or in the Ultrix stuff.  I just wrote my own (about 5
lines each.)

3. The syslog stuff is different.  I had to hack stuff up (again) to work
with the Ultrix syslog.

4. Rebuilding libc with it.  DEC has used some sun code so you can't do
module-by-module replacement.  So, I just used the separate stand-alone
library, libresolv.a.

The sources I got were from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu, anonymously.  It took me
about five hours total to get it all working.

Tony Mason
Distributed Systems Group
Stanford University
mason@pescadero.stanford.edu

andyp@ritcsh.UUCP (Andy Potter) (03/01/88)

Tony ,

I am most interested in what you did to Bind to get it working on
ultrix.  I am running 2 ultrix systems (v2.0 soon to be v2.2)

Thanks in advance.

	- Andy

Andrew W. Potter                           Email:    awpsys@ritvax.BITNET
Systems Programmer                                     awp8101@ritcv.UUCP
Information Systems and Computing                       andyp@ritcsh.UUCP
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY, 14623  PH (716) 475-6994