[comp.unix.ultrix] DZ11 problems under Ultrix

tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) (02/20/88)

Does anyone know how to change the parity on a DZ11 in an 11/785 running under
ULTRIX 2.0?  It seems to produce 7 bit space parity all the time and we can't
figure out how to change it (ideally to 8 bit no parity)

Tim

jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) (03/02/88)

In article <22162@felix.UUCP>, tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:

> Does anyone know how to change the parity on a DZ11 in an 11/785 running under
> ULTRIX 2.0?  It seems to produce 7 bit space parity all the time and we can't
> figure out how to change it (ideally to 8 bit no parity)

	The only way I have found to tell Ultrix to use 8 bit no parity
is to put it in raw mode.  This add so much other hastles that it wont begin to
work.  This was a big hassle while we were using one ln03 printer for both
Ultix and VMS and had to keep changing the printer.  The manuals do not
indicate that it is possible to do anything else.  I have also seen mention
of problems with connecting uucp to other computers that are expecting 8
bit no parity.  If anybody knows of a way to set your terminal port to under-
stand 8 bit no parity, I would appreciate knowing about it.

	On another line, I am disturbed about DECs inplemenation of terminal
servers for Ultrix.  Unix expects the user to change attributes with the
stty call.  Since the server intercepts this and chenges it to what it thinks
the terminal is set for, it has no control over it.  This is contrary to the
way Unix is ment to work.  Also this could cause two sets of manuals to be
written for some packages.

	And then one question about the terminal servers.  With VMS it is
possible to call out to the terminal server and use one of its ports.  Is
this possible with Ultrix and how is it accomplished if it is (I guess thats
two questions).

					Thanks for any help

					--  Johnnie  --

ls@datlog.co.uk (03/15/88)

> Does anyone know how to change the parity on a DZ11 in an 11/785 running under
> ULTRIX 2.0?  It seems to produce 7 bit space parity all the time and we can't
> figure out how to change it (ideally to 8 bit no parity)

Try 'stty raw' (or its equivelent ioctl call - sg_flags = RAW).

I dont think you can set 8 bits no parity and keep the tty 'cooked'.

(On a related topic - DEC have told me that due to a bug in the driver,
 it is impossible to set 8 bits even/odd parity on Ultrix 1.2 running
 on a MicroVax. It sounds like there are some strange things in their
 driver).

--
	Les Smithson