[comp.unix.ultrix] Third party disks for Ultrix

lamaster@ames.arpa (Hugh LaMaster) (04/14/88)

We have a VAX 11/785 running 2.2, with a UDA-50 and two ra81's,
and two SI drives (RM05 look alikes I think) using an SI Massbus
controller (I think).

Question:  does anyone have any experience with using anything
like an Emulex SBI controller and CDC or Fujitsu disks on Ultrix?

If so, are the controller and disks DEC lookalikes (Do you need
a new driver or can you use an existing one for an RM05, say)?
(My ignorance is showing, but if anyone knows where to start
looking for more information, I would appreciate it).

jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) (04/27/88)

In article <29933@felix.UUCP>, lamaster@ames.arpa (Hugh LaMaster) writes:

> Question:  does anyone have any experience with using anything
> like an Emulex SBI controller and CDC or Fujitsu disks on Ultrix?

At Weber State College we have a MicroVAX II running Ultrix.  When we decided
to get more disk space we got a pair of Maxtor drives and a controller
for them from SI.  The system thinks that they are DEC ra81 drives and has
absolutely no problem with them.  The drives are great.  I just wish SI had
a better service guy around here.  After calling him back 3 times, I finally
got the manual aout for the drives and correctly formated and set the bad
block list.  The same person cam to install 2 eagle drives an a VMS
MicroVAX and got it all wrong.  3 days latter and a few pis*ed off students
we finally got it fixed no thanks to him.  But they still sent us a bill for
$450.00.  Ain't this industry great.

				--  Johnnie  --