[comp.unix.ultrix] /etc/init -> /bin/init

fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) (04/06/88)

Does anyone know why DEC decided to move /etc/init to /bin/init in
Ultrix 2.2?  I didn't run across this in the release notes or anywhere
else.  We tried booting a 2.2 /vmunix on a 2.0 filesystem, and it hung
after the autosizer output.  We were wondering what might be causing
that and decided to cmp init, and that's when we noticed the init had
moved... Linking /etc/init to /bin/init solved that problem.  Of
course /etc/mount, /etc/umount, etc. don't work right since the getmnt
system call seems to have been changed.  (This wasn't in the release
notes either...)

Seems like DEC thinks that when you upgrade from one release to
another you should just totally blank out all your disks.  They don't
even bother to completely document what the changes are, so its trial
and error trying to put your system back to the way it was...

					--Fuat Baran
					  Academic Systems Group

--
ARPANET: fuat@columbia.edu           U.S. MAIL: Columbia University
BITNET:  fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu               Center for Computing Activities

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/14/88)

In article <27815@felix.UUCP>, fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:

> Does anyone know why DEC decided to move /etc/init to /bin/init in
> Ultrix 2.2?  I didn't run across this in the release notes or anywhere
> else.

Check out the release notes page 1-2 under the heading "FIle
System Reorganization."  While I'll admit it doesn't go into as much
detail as one would like, it does warn about the file system reorg and
give some reasons for it.

There are other notes in the release notes which should have given you
ample warning as to why a 2.2 kernel cannot exist with many 2.0 system
programs.

Fred

wenger@crta.UUCP (Barry Wenger) (04/14/88)

in article <27815@felix.UUCP>, fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) says:

> Seems like DEC thinks that when you upgrade from one release to
> another you should just totally blank out all your disks.  They don't
> even bother to completely document what the changes are, so its trial
> and error trying to put your system back to the way it was...

	This information is greatly appreciated at this site. We are now
  running 8+ systems on 2.0. Last November we went through an extremely
  painful upgrade from 1.2 to 2.0. This consisted of a weekend marathon
  beginning about 5:00pm on a Friday nite, and lasted until sometime Monday
  morning around 10:00 am. (Talk about couple of zombie processes by then :-))
  It took us the better part of the next two months to realize that all the
  changes were not documented fully. Now I learn the same is true on 2.2.
  GASP!!!. We are currently fortunate to have a spare system to experiment
  with, and we were trying to figure out how we could overlay 2.2 on the
  production systems. It is evident that we cannot. I do wonder why DEC
  assumes that, as is noted above, that customers can indeed just wipe out
  the the current work, which has taken us years to put in place and refine,
  and start over. This is essentially what we have to do.  And do you think
  the users understand ?  NOOOOOO WAY!!  We are expected to do in a matter
  of days what has taken years to put together, and have everything work as
  before.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (04/21/88)

Following up the discussion of how Ultrix upgrades wipe out the
entire disk, here is a comment from a 4.3BSD user.

The nice thing about 4.3BSD is that there are no upgrades.  None!  No
revisions, no bug fixes, nothing.  Other than a minor patch or two
obtained from Usenet, our system has been running without changes since
September 1986.

This solves all upgrade problems.  All who can get a source license
should try this.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) (04/22/88)

In article <29929@felix.UUCP> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>Check out the release notes page 1-2 under the heading "FIle
>System Reorganization."  While I'll admit it doesn't go into as much
>detail as one would like, it does warn about the file system reorg and
>give some reasons for it.
>
>There are other notes in the release notes which should have given you
>ample warning as to why a 2.2 kernel cannot exist with many 2.0 system
>programs.

The release notes are definitely insufficient.  The section you
mention mainly discusses reorganization due to diskless workstations,
especially the distinction between /usr/bin and /bin, /usr/lib and
/lib, etc.  It did not warn me that init was moved so trying to boot
with a 2.2 kernel on a 2.0 filesystem, would not work at all.
Checking for init wasn't the first thing we thought to look for when
the the machine hung right after all the autosizer output.  (We tried
to bring 2.2 up on a microvax first before annoying all the users on
the 8700.)

In general, I do not find the release notes very helpful at all.  If
you want a laugh, try reading section 2.5.17 on page 2-22...  Not
exactly the most useful paragraph I've seen.

Wasn't 2.2 supposed to be a "maintenance" release to mostly fix bugs?
There should be a way to upgrade from one minor versions to another
without a complete installation.

					--Fuat

P.S.  Do you by any chance know where in the release notes they
mention that getmnt(2) was incompatibly modified so that things like
the old mount/umount/df and any user program using getmnt(2) would no
longer work?  I didn't notice it when I read through the notes.

--

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/23/88)

In article <31574@felix.UUCP> fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:

>The release notes are definitely insufficient.  The section you
>mention mainly discusses reorganization due to diskless workstations,
>especially the distinction between /usr/bin and /bin, /usr/lib and
>/lib, etc.  It did not warn me that init was moved so trying to boot
>with a 2.2 kernel on a 2.0 filesystem, would not work at all.

Yes, this is true they do not cover every possible contingency.

>In general, I do not find the release notes very helpful at all. ...

I strongly suggest you fill out the READER'S COMMENTS card found in
the back of every manual.  That's the best way to affect a change in
this regard.

> Wasn't 2.2 supposed to be a "maintenance" release to mostly fix bugs?
No.  Maintenance releases (shoud they ever happen :-) ) would be "odd numbered"
releases (e.g., 2.3).

>P.S.  Do you by any chance know where in the release notes they
>mention that getmnt(2) was incompatibly modified so that things like
>the old mount/umount/df and any user program using getmnt(2) would no
>longer work?  I didn't notice it when I read through the notes.

Yeah, that is a tough one.  Release notes currently do not list every
subroutine and system call that has changed.  The general rule is when
you receive a full installation, do a full installation unless told
specifically that you can do otherwise.

Fred

bin@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/27/88)

>From article <31098@felix.UUCP>, by dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi):
<
< This solves all upgrade problems.  All who can get a source license
< should try this [running 4.3 BSD instead of Ultrix].

Doesn't work too well for VAXBI systems, though, unless someone's figured
how how to hack BSD to understand the BI bus.  Anyone?

nes@prcrs.UUCP (Nancy Shoemaker) (05/04/88)

fuat@columbia.edu:

> In general, I do not find the release notes very helpful at all.  If
> you want a laugh, try reading section 2.5.17 on page 2-22...  Not
> exactly the most useful paragraph I've seen.

Actually, my favorite was 2.5.18, "Regular Expression Handling".  To
date, that's the only response I've seen to the SPR ICA-6498 that
we filed on 5/5/87 (though on 4/4/88 SPR administration told me that
the reply was sent on 3/31).

Section 2.5.18 reports that there are limits to the length of the
regular expression that can be handled by ed, ex and the grep type
commands.  [Surprise?]  The SPR reported that the limit will sometimes
be exceeded by the command /usr/bin/calendar.  When the month ends on
a Saturday or Sunday, the regular expression generated on the last
Friday will be longer than egrep can handle and calendar will abort.
Don't expect Ultrix v{1.1,1.2,2.0,2.2} "calendar" to remind you of
anything important on Friday, April 29, 1988!

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/04/88)

In article <32290@felix.UUCP> bin@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu
(Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Doesn't work too well for VAXBI systems, though, unless someone's figured
>how how to hack BSD to understand the BI bus.  Anyone?

Not too difficult.  The problem is that only the 8[23][05]0 are simple
BI machines.  The more interesting machines---the 8700, 8800, and the
recently-released whatever-they-are-called---have an internal CPU/
memory bus and get at BI buses via adapters.

Making 4.3BSD run on the 8250 was relatively easy, since all I had to
do was lie about the bus structure (and claim the KDB50 adapter was
on the Unibus!).  Even doing an 8800 with two BIs would be possible,
since the 86x0 can have two SBIAs and has IOA maps.  Still, the whole
autoconfiguration system needs to be rewritten with the new hardware
in mind.

Debugging my KDB50 adapter code was harder....  (Did you know the
VM code assumes that the pageout driver has copied the PTEs, and that
it is safe to smash them?  Oops!  I found out with a `host buffer
memory access error'.)

tim@mtxinu.UUCP (Tim Wood - Sybase Inc.) (05/04/88)

In article <32290@felix.UUCP> you write:

>>From article <31098@felix.UUCP>, by dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi):
><
>< This solves all upgrade problems.  All who can get a source license
>< should try this [running 4.3 BSD instead of Ultrix].
>
>Doesn't work too well for VAXBI systems, though, unless someone's figured
>how how to hack BSD to understand the BI bus.  Anyone?

MtXinu, of Berkeley, CA, is working on their 4.3 BSD system for
the Microvax 3x00 (i know, not BI) and the 8[35]xx line (BI).
Supposed to be ready this summer.
-TW

--
{ihnp4!pacbell,pyramid,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (05/17/88)

In article <33321@felix.UUCP>, nes@prcrs.UUCP (Nancy Shoemaker) writes:
> . . .
> Section 2.5.18 reports that there are limits to the length of the
> regular expression that can be handled by ed, ex and the grep type
> commands.  [Surprise?]  The SPR reported that the limit will sometimes
> be exceeded by the command /usr/bin/calendar.  When the month ends on
> a Saturday or Sunday, the regular expression generated on the last
> Friday will be longer than egrep can handle and calendar will abort.
> Don't expect Ultrix v{1.1,1.2,2.0,2.2} "calendar" to remind you of
> anything important on Friday, April 29, 1988!

Don't know if this will work around your April bug; in any event. . .

!From ado Sun Nov 30 19:16:40 1986
!...
!Subject: MORE/bsd 4.3 /usr/lib/calendar foils egrep on Fridays late in the year
!...
!
!Index:	usr.bin/calendar/calendar.c MORE/bsd 4.3 Fix
!
!	The "egrep" scripts generated by "/usr/lib/calendar" are rejected
!	by "egrep" on Fridays late in the year.
!
!Repeat-By:
!	Run the commands
!		date 8611281200
!		/usr/lib/calendar > /tmp/try
!		egrep -f /tmp/try < /dev/null
!	and note the result:
!		egrep: regular expression too long
!
!Fix:
!	Here are context differences between the version of "calendar.c"
!	distributed with MORE/bsd 4.3 and a version that produces a
!	different regular expression that egrep can handle.  The different
!	regular expression does not accept "011" as a synonym for "November"
!	but does still accept "01" (. . ."09") as a synonym for "January"
!	(. . ."September").
!
!*** old/calendar.c	Sun Nov 30 19:08:44 1986
!--- new/calendar.c	Sat Nov 29 10:42:20 1986
!***************
!*** 1,3 ****
!--- 1,8 ----
!+ #ifndef ASWAS
!+ #ifdef OBJECTID
!+ static char	elsieid[] = "@(#)calendar.c	3.2";
!+ #endif /* OBJECTID */
!+ #endif /* !ASWAS */
!  static	char *sccsid = "@(#)calendar.c	4.5 (Berkeley) 84/05/07";
!  /* /usr/lib/calendar produces an egrep -f file
!     that will select today's and tomorrow's
!***************
!*** 30,35 ****
!--- 35,51 ----
!  {
!  	struct tm *tm;
!  	tm = localtime(&t);
!+ #ifndef ASWAS
!+ 	/*
!+ 	** Prevent "egrep: regular expression too long" error.
!+ 	*/
!+ 	if ((tm->tm_mon + 1) >= 10)
!+ 		(void) printf(
!+ 		month[tm->tm_mon],
!+ 		tm->tm_mon + 1, tm->tm_mday);
!+ 	else
!+ #endif /* !ASWAS */
!  		month[tm->tm_mon],
!  		tm->tm_mon + 1, tm->tm_mon + 1, tm->tm_mday);

--
	ado@ncifcrf.gov			ADO is a trademark of Ampex.