[comp.unix.ultrix] X V11.R2 and Ultrix

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (05/26/88)

In article <2382@jumbo.dec.com> jg@jumbo.UUCP (Jim Gettys) writes:

>	At this particular instant, I am running exactly the R2 release
>on my GPX (actually a 3200, but I had it running on a uVaxII last week
>	You have to do precisely NOTHING to the base X distribution or to
>your kernel. I had personally installed a virgin 2.2 on the machine
>before installing  the MIT release, and not installed any V10 X version
>at all.  Just follow the installation directions; don't go out of your
>way looking for trouble that doesn't exist.

	Ok, I am trying to bring up Ultrix 2.2 and some 'sort' of X.  (Pardon
my ignorance, but I've NO idea which version Ultrix Workstation Software 1.1
uses - since it doesn't need the xos XOS stuff, I've assummed it is V11.Rx
which is further justified since it DOES support the VS2000...)
	Well, I install Ultrix, I build a new kernel (all under automatic
installation control) and it succeeds just fine. NFS works, TCP/IP works,
but X doesn't.  I try xterm and X from init and I get a message:

fatal error: No such file or directory at Cannot open X display

meanwhile, every time init cycles, I get an XIO: connection reset by peer
error on the GPX display... obviously since X isn't running....

I can't figure out whether this is a problem with the Workstation software
or with X proper.  I have all of the new X11.R2 code but before I install it
I want to be sure it will work.

	Why am I concerned: because my hardware configuration is just subtly
different then most:  with lots of unsophisticated users, and since this
machine shares its life with its VMS incarnation (each has 1 disk and I can
boot either one) log files (in hardcopy) are quite important. Therefore, even
though I have only 1 GPX, I have it configured at 777402 instead of 777400.
This allows a La34 console, and the a GPX display which is NEVER bothered by
Console/operator window messages - which used to drive our users nuts....
VMS handles this just fine, and so does Ultrix... it just calls it qd1 and
ttyc1 rather then qdo, qconsole, and ttyv0.... But X can seem to get to qd1.
So I have built SEVERAL more kernels - I have tried calling it qd0 rather
then qd1 but at the correct CSR, I have created qd0's linked to qd1, I have
created qd1's linked to qd0 etc..... I think the driver is working when I
have it at qd1 since I at least get the XIO: ... errors on the screen...

I have empirically determined that QIL (the QDSS Interface Library) calls
qd0 direct (hardcoded)... is this true of X11.R2.... or do I have to pull
the VCB02 boards out each time I shift operating systems?  (and yes I need
both since most of our applications run under VMS [no flames please] except
1 which requires X support [and DECwindows for VMS is due out in ...])

-ed cetron
center for engineering design
univ of utah
cetron@cs.utah.edu