[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix-32 2.2 panic

mvw@eurtrx.UUCP (Maarten van Wijk) (07/26/88)

Hi,

I am running Ultrix-32 2.2 and when I shut the system down to single user
the system sometimes panics with

panic: km_free: bad dealloc

Digital telephone support says this is a known problem in 2.0 but has
been fixed in 2.2. Is anybody else running 2.2 having this trouble?

--
***--*--*--------------------Maarten van Wijk--------------------------------+
**  *  *KUB-University       Phone: (+31) 13 662091     Bitnet:  mvw@htikub5 |

fuat@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) (07/30/88)

In article <50690@felix.UUCP> mvw@eurtrx.UUCP (Maarten van Wijk) writes:
>I am running Ultrix-32 2.2 and when I shut the system down to single user
>the system sometimes panics with
>
>panic: km_free: bad dealloc
>
>Digital telephone support says this is a known problem in 2.0 but has
>been fixed in 2.2. Is anybody else running 2.2 having this trouble?

I just received the release notes for Ultrix 2.3.  Page 2-3 of the
release notes says:

	"Changes in the accounting state could cause several different
	system panics; for example, a km_free: bad dealloc message
	when shutting down system down.  These panics have been
	eliminated."

In other words, the problem exists in an unpatched 2.2 system.  You
might be able to get a patch for this problem.

						--Fuat

--
ARPANET: fuat@columbia.edu           U.S. MAIL: Columbia University
BITNET:  fuat@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu            Center for Computing Activities

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (07/30/88)

In article <50690@felix.UUCP>, mvw@eurtrx.UUCP (Maarten van Wijk) writes:

> I am running Ultrix-32 2.2 and when I shut the system down to single user
> the system sometimes panics with
>
> panic: km_free: bad dealloc

The problem is with accounting.  Shut it off by commenting out the /etc/accton
line in /etc/rc and it should clear it up.  Apparently, when accounting is
running, there is a race condition produced when the system shuts down to
single-user that causes it to try to deallocate some memory that has already
been deallocated.

DEC sent out a patch a while back but it didn't help.  I notified them
and they sent another patch which I have yet to install; I'll probably
just wait until the next version of Ultrix comes out.

BTW, any of the Ultrix sites out there that wonder why Internet mail and ftp
doesn't work so hot, it could be that the TCP_TTL value is too low.  It is
15 on Ultrix 2.2 and it should be 60 according to RFC 793.  Talk to your
DEC rep and see if he can talk someone into giving you a patch (or edit the
file /usr/include/netinet/tcp_timer.h and rebuild if you have sources).  We
patched ours and it helped tremendously.
--
Leonard J. Peirce		Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University		   peirce@gw.wmich.edu