[comp.unix.ultrix] Personal name in MAIL.

warren@sniff.dec.com (warren sypteras) (07/19/88)

I'm running ULTRIX-32 V2.2 on a MicroVAX.  I would like to be able to
include the same feature that the VMS mailer has; PERSONAL_NAME.

Looking through the sendmail.cf file I can see how to substitute text
in place of the $x macro which I understand, is supposed to equate to
the full name of the user.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to put something (a command
maybe) in place of the $x that would cause sendmail to look for and include
text in a file in the senders account.

For example; $x is replaced with somthing that causes sendmail to include
the text in ~warren/.personal_name.

Is the above possible to do in the sendmail.cf file?  If not, is something
else possible?  I don't have any sources and reading the available documentation
is, well.......shall I say tortuous! :-)

Warren

[ You already get your full name as displayed by "finger" and you can change
that with "chfn".  -- Art Z. ]

pdb@sie.cmu.edu (07/26/88)

If you use a reasonably intellegent user agent for mail, you can get
any personal name you want.  I'm using MH, and it has no trouble with
this.

If you're using the stock Ultrix /usr/ucb/Mail, then I'm afraid you're
stuck with whatever you have in the GECOS field of /etc/passwd (which,
as has been pointed out, can be changed with 'chfn').

There's no way to make sendmail vary what it uses for $x unless you
have the source and are willing to hack on it (which I would not
recommend).

--Pat.

ge@hobbit.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (07/30/88)

>From article <48906@felix.UUCP>, by warren@sniff.dec.com (warren sypteras):
> I'm running ULTRIX-32 V2.2 on a MicroVAX.  I would like to be able to
> include the same feature that the VMS mailer has; PERSONAL_NAME.
>
> Is the above possible to do in the sendmail.cf file?  If not, is something
> else possible?

On BSD systems, you can use an alternative mailer in /usr/ucb/Mail.
edit the .mailrc file (or maybe the global Mailrc) and add the command

set sendmail=/somewhere/mymailer

mymailer can do everything it likes with the mail message, but it should
edit the message and then pass it to /usr/lib/sendmail with the original
arguments.

try:
#!/bin/sh
(cat ; cat ~/.personal) | /usr/lib/sendmail $@
--
Ge' Weijers, Informatics dept., Nijmegen University, the Netherlands
UUCP: {uunet!,}mcvax!kunivv1!hobbit!ge

barnett@vdsvax.UUCP (Bruce G. Barnett) (08/10/88)

In article <48906@felix.UUCP> warren@sniff.dec.com (warren sypteras) writes:
|I'm running ULTRIX-32 V2.2 on a MicroVAX.  I would like to be able to
|include the same feature that the VMS mailer has; PERSONAL_NAME.

You could try creating a file ~/.mailcf

This has the same syntax that /usr/lib/sendmail.cf has, and can be
used to change headers in mail messages.

Sun removed this 'feature' from their OS because it contained
a security hole.
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

fuat@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) (08/17/88)

In article <53017@felix.UUCP> barnett@vdsvax.UUCP (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:
>You could try creating a file ~/.mailcf
>
>This has the same syntax that /usr/lib/sendmail.cf has, and can be
>used to change headers in mail messages.
>
>Sun removed this 'feature' from their OS because it contained
>a security hole.

Actually, I believe the original author of sendmail (Eric Allman)
removed this feature because "it's been abused".  (Done in version
4.30 in 1984.)

						--Fuat

--
ARPANET: fuat@columbia.edu           U.S. MAIL: Columbia University