[comp.unix.ultrix] Update on 2.2 patch tape.

nes@prcrs.UUCP (Nancy Shoemaker) (07/26/88)

Here's

      *	the README from a patch tape dated 6/8 (from Massachusetts CSC)
      *	a list of diffs from the 4/26 patch tape
      *	the checksums from the 6/15 tape

				 README

Run the install_patch script to install these patches. The script
checks the sccs id module and updates the binaries for anyone found
out of rev. You MUST be root to run this script.

uipc_msg.o msg.h
----------------
		panic: bad rmfree

		Can occur when processes using message queues swap.

File system problems
--------------------

    gfs/{gfs_bio.o gfs_gnodeops.o gfs_syscalls.o}
    nfs/{nfs_server.o nfs_vnodeops.o vnodeops_gfs.o nfs_subr.o nfs_gfsops.o}
    ufs/{ufs_gnodeops.o ufs_gnode.o ufs_syscalls.o}
    sys/{kern_sig.o kern_acct.o}

	These files do not map one-to-one with bugs.
	The bugs that these files fix are:

	1. Change to file generation number increments on NFS server.
	   Would cause "NFS server: stale fhandle" message on server
           (should have only caused problems when accessing through
	   multiple links to same file via NFS, and one link removed).

	2. Fix for mode of named pipe created over NFS.

	3. Fix for NFS client gnode race condition.
	   Can cause gfs_unlock: unlocked gnode panic.

	4. Better tempname algorithm when unlinking open files
	   over NFS. Extremely unlikely to be seen; results in
	   stale fhandle error.

	5. Various fs panics when accounting changes state.
	   (km_free: bad dealloc when shutting system down)

	6. bhalt() changes. It could conceivably be writing out
	   read-ahead blocks to disk at shutdown and panics now.

	7. Access is not allowed over NFS for a filesystem that
	   has not been explicitly exported. (Not true without
	   these patches). However, changing the exports file while
	   a system is running is not enough to prohibit access
	   from a filesystem that is currently exported.

	   The filesystem must also be unmounted and remounted on
	   the server (tough for root). After that, any attempt to
	   access that filesystem via NFS will be refused with
	   ESTALE and an "unexported" message is printed on the server.

	8. A df on a remote NFS filesystem now has the same effect
	   as doing a df on the server - not true before, a df
	   on the server was necessary for the stats, as seen by
	   client, to be updated.

	9. The utimes() system call now has the proper semantics
	   over NFS - the owner of a file can change the times even
	   if he does not have write permission.

       10. Better NFS server fhandle error messages.

tmscp.o tmscp.h tmscpreg.h
--------------------------

    Fixes all kinds of panics, panic: bad rmfree in the tmscp driver
    panic: bad rmfree in other drivers when freeing uba maps. The old
    driver could allow the writing of K mem in improper areas.

uerf.bin
--------

    The file uerf.bin contains erroneuos data. UERF uses this file to
    do bit-to-text translations. Error log reports can contain bad data.
    Some of the bad information is obvious, such as VERY large or negative
    numbers for MSCP disk cylinder or head addresses.

fsck
----

    This replaces the fsck command that was distributed with ULTRIX-32
    V2.2. It fixes panic: free: freeing free block.

kern_synch.o
------------

    Processes were running slowly because the process priority never
    decayed if the process had taken a signal.

gfs_descrip.o
-------------

    Systems crashed periodically during execution of closef() routine with
    segmentation fault.

dlogind
-------

    Fixes wtmp corruption problem. Two processes could open the wtmp file
    for writing at the same time. This would cause corruption of wtmp.
    * This is only if you have DECnet installed.

lat_scl1.o lat_slot.o lat_vc.o
------------------------------

    System would panic with segmentation fault when picking up an empty
    slot. Also, users would be dropped from LAT.

s5make
------

    Fixed to handle archives properly.

ss.o
----

    Fixes problem with MicroVAX 2000 console port and port 2. If a modem
    was attached to port 2 and you logged off the console, port 2 would be
    disconnected. (See V2.2 Release Notes, p. 2-15 for more information.)

dmb.o
-----

    Fixes line hangs ...

uucico
------

    Fixes problem with uucico hanging.

Files that differ:
README
install_patch
kern_acct.o
msg.h            -- sccs header only difference
tmscp.h          -- sccs header only difference
tmscpreg.h       -- sccs header only difference

Only in new version:
dlogind
dmb.o
gfs_descrip.o
lat_scl1.o
lat_slot.o
lat_vc.o
s5make
ss.o
uucico

36622     5 README
20287    63 dlogind
61033    13 dmb.o
12738    69 fsck
39670     8 gfs_bio.o
07811     6 gfs_descrip.o
44916     8 gfs_gnodeops.o
34330    15 gfs_syscalls.o
20789    19 install_patch
53611     4 kern_acct.o
42261     9 kern_sig.o
30686     7 kern_synch.o
56705     6 lat_scl1.o
54454     4 lat_slot.o
53865     7 lat_vc.o
19108     5 msg.h
02419     9 nfs_gfsops.o
28292    13 nfs_server.o
51267     9 nfs_subr.o
18513    14 nfs_vnodeops.o
03470    42 s5make
42788    16 ss.o
21862    12 tmscp.h
38230    28 tmscp.o
10244     5 tmscpreg.h
39948   139 uerf.bin
36638     7 ufs_gnode.o
06472     6 ufs_gnodeops.o
09817     6 ufs_syscalls.o
17696     6 uipc_msg.o
38949   125 uucico
20147     7 vnodeops_gfs.o

animal@ernie.UUCP (Alan R. Silverman) (08/17/88)

Warning!  I received my Ultrix 2.3 update and was warned by DEC Cust.
Support to NOT install it if I installed the 2.2 bugfix.

They couldn't reboot and fsck was helpless.

We will load back to 2.2, then upgrade to 2.3  .

We have been having incredible NFS stale fhandle messages and
sometimes the VAX8250 gets so locked up with this problem,
we have to physically halt the diskless node causing the problem.
( We run a VAX8250 exporting a large filesystem for 35 home directoriesw
to 12 Suns )

Anyone else having problems like this?

Anyone running 2.3 Ultrix?

davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM (David Schmidt) (08/26/88)

In article <54080@felix.UUCP> animal@ernie.UUCP (Alan R. Silverman) writes:
>Warning!  I received my Ultrix 2.3 update and was warned by DEC Cust.
>Support to NOT install it if I installed the 2.2 bugfix.
>
>[...]
>
>We will load back to 2.2, then upgrade to 2.3  .

After seeing a warning here about installing 2.3 on a patched 2.2 system
I called DEC Customer Support and heard the same thing.  However, I
remembered looking at the install script on the patch tape and seeing that
it saved the old version 2.2 files.  I was able to move the old files
(named filename.org0) to their original names and rebuild my 2.2 kernel.

I then moved the two other programs (fsck and uerf?) to their original
locations, loaded the patch tape and everything worked fine.  There is
no need to load a backup tape of your original 2.2 system.

Hope that helps!
--
David Schmidt              UUCP:  davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM
ISC Systems Corporation           (uunet!iscuva!davids)