[comp.unix.ultrix] automatic reboot

cdl@mplvax.nosc.MIL (Carl Lowenstein) (09/26/88)

Running Ultrix 1.2 on a VaxStation II.  Is there any combination
of software or hardware setup options that I can use to make the
machine reboot after a power-down, power-up sequence?  It goes
through the 'normal system tests' countdown, and then waits forever
to be told 'B DUA0' or 'boot'.  Painful if the machine is 10 miles
away on the other end of the phone line.

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax}	!ucsd!mplvax!cdl

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/04/88)

YEah...  The little toggle switch in the back.  Flip it up.  Should work now
assuming that you built your kernel to know form where to boot, etc.

Fred

cdl@mplvax.nosc.MIL (Carl Lowenstein) (11/08/88)

In article <60434@felix.UUCP> cdl@mplvax.nosc.MIL (Carl Lowenstein) writes:

>VaxStation II.  Hardware setup options that I can use to make the
>machine reboot after a power-down, power-up sequence?

I'll answer my own dumb question.  The paddle switch on the rear panel
which is documented to "enable/disable halts" affects not only the
function of the front-panel Halt button but also the function of a
programmed HALT instruction.  RTFP (Read the fine print)!  So if you
put the switch down, the ROM bootstrap will just carry on after system
tests and look for a bootable storage device.